Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Backup detector

ghzcss

Hello everybody,

I have been reading all of you guys postings and have learned a lot. I just got back into the THing thing and bought a Quattro. Love the machine but, will be glad when my 8" and 5" EXcellerators come in. I am having a little trouble pinpointing with the stock 10.5 coil. Anyways, the reason I am posting to you guys. I am wanting to get a backup detector. I have read reread and read again about all of the detectors that fit what I am looking for. And I just can't decide. I need some feedback from you all. I want to try and stick around $650 or so. Would like ID and depth readings. I live in the coalfields of Kentucky. So, mineralization is horrible. So, I would like a ground tracking machine or a machine that GB's fairly easy. I have had several good machines in the past. I have no had a problem with the GBing with the exception of Tesoro's. I had one of those that was completely unusable here. I have an old Bounty Hunter Big Bud which works great but, I am going to have a friend hunt with it with me. I have learned in the past. One Bounty Hunter good. Two Bounty Hunters no so good. Get to much interference from each other. So, I am wanting to avoid the Bounty Hunter's. So far, I am considering the following: Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett GTP 1350, Minelab X-Terra 50 and Minelab Explorer XS(would have to be a used one to fit my budget). Was also considering a Teknetics T2(But it is a little out of my budget also. But, would still consider it if everyone thinks it would be that much better than the others listed) You guys let me know if I have missed some good selections out there I should be looking at. Will be waiting your feedback. Thanks, Mike

Yes, I am sure the Coinstrike is an excellent machine. But, I don't think it has a depth reading on meter. Please, correct me if I am wrong. May be silly but, I haven't used a machine in years that doesn't have a depth reading. And would really prefer it. I do not know anyone who has used the T2. So, I really know nothing about it. With the exception of what I have read. Thanks for your help!!

I have White's classic III. With no visuals. This machine is great for trashy areas. It's funny how if you are forced to use your hearing only how it becomes your eyes. Why do blind people develop such good hearing? I can usually tell what kind of target and aprox how deep it is without any visuals. Anyway, I'm not too sure I can give advice on another machine with ID features. Just wanted to give my 2 cents on visual aids.

Mirage

Thanks Mirage, appreciate the input. Still undecided. Getting about the right time to get out there. So, gonna have to decide soon. CYA Mike

and you are right about using none metered machines. You can get quite good at determining depth and have a good idea of the target before digging once you have used a none metered machine for awhile.

BUT, it's kind of like a blind person, if there were a miracle surgery available that could restore their sight, would they opt for it or continue to be blind because of the other acute senses? I think they would opt for sight.

Metered or none metered machines are a persons preference and what type of hunting you like to do has an affect on the type of machines you use. Like a lot of relic hunters opt for none metered machines.

Just another opinion!