Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back to HULL !! Point Allerton Life Saving Station..

Ron J

I have been to Hull, and back, quite a few times over the years.:D A couple in my own boat,back in the early 90's,but mostly by car,doing snooping,and sightseeing. Either way,it can be an hours ride or more.Its kind of like driving to the Cape,but shorter.You all have seen the "arm" of Massachusetts on maps? A big arch,one way in,one out. Hull is sort of like that.It extends around,actually with two large islands,connected by narrow causeways.Located at the outskirts of Boston Harbor. Beautiful area!! There are two "sides" of Hull,outside,facing,and right on the Atlantic. The inside,called the "Gut" faces inland to Quincy Bay.The current is very tough thru the channel,depending on tide, of course.Hull has the distinction,of having had two different Life Saving Stations,both long ago closed, although there is still Point Allerton CG Station,that is quite active.Here is the earlier station,now a museum.[attachment 50200 USSKENNEDU097.jpg]They have preserved it well! The original equipment is still intact.[attachment 50201 USSKENNEDU099.jpg][attachment 50212 USSKENNEDU111.jpg]Here is the wagon,that would be hauled to the beach,remember,mostly at night,or in a storm.A ship doesn't usually get wrecked in daylight![attachment 50203 USSKENNEDU109.jpg][attachment 50204 USSKENNEDU112.jpg]I don't know if the boat is original.I have much admiration for the crews that served.Imagine pulling that boat on a wagon,in sand? (some had horses) Then launching,and breaking through surf,that could be anywhere from two ft to 10ft high breakers,none stop,pounding you,in the middle of the night? Knowing that life's depended on them,they were not thinking of the punishment they were enduring.This particular station,had a great reputation back at the turn of the century.The last photo was from the peak above the boathouse door.In the distance is Boston Light,with The Graves light,behind it. (The rock wall you see was added for protection,after the Blizzard of 1978.Hull took a beating from that storm.) The crews lived here on shifts.All volunteers,back then,with very little pay.

the restoration and what a good job they did with it! Thanks for sharing this with us! :) And by the way, if you are reading this, you are supposed to be in your room!!!! :rofl:

n/t