Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back in the saddle again.......

Lil Brother

Yesterday after work, I got a wild hair and decided to grab my bow and walk across the road. There is 40 acres surrounded on each side with fields.

Afew years back, I put up a deer stand, hunted out of it one year, got sick for a year, and well; it's time to start hunting in earnest, again. I managed a meager attempt at Spring Turkey Season with my bro, but it was not much more than an attempt. This year I am stronger and it really feels good to get back in synch with Mother Nature.

I sat on my stand for about 2 hrs.,before it got dark. When I first started to climb the ladder, I realized just how high it was.,(12 feet). For some odd reason, it seemed extremely high. Al the straps were good and it was very sturdy so after I got situated, I was very comfortable.

The sun was setting over my right shoulder while I watched a gray squirrel bounce from limb to limb in a giant Red Oak tree. Just the smell of the fresh air, after waiting so long, was invigarating. Even though i could hear traffic in the distance, it was still very quite.

I left the house in haste, leaving my cushion somewhere in all my camping stuff so my rear-end did tend to suffer just a little bit. Even though it was a short hunt, it was a little uncomfortable. I was looking out throught the trees enjoying myself when it finally dawned on me just how much I had missed it. It didn't matter that I didn't see a deer, but what did matter is I was back in the saddle again ready to make up for lost time.

The old stand needed a new camo paint job from where the paint had began to oxidize and the string to pull my rifle needed to be replaced, but other than that, all was well. I'll take a couple of cans of paint with me next time and paint it again, right before I come home. It'll be good as new.

I'm looking forward to Saturday morning, especially sice a cold front is coming through in the morning. I'll be sure to have all my goodies in order including water, gum, a sandwich, and maybe even a Hostess Cupcake.

I promised myself that I would never try to take for granted something like going hunting ever again. After sitting wrapped in a blanket for a year, I can not express how wonderful it is to be back doing what I love to do! I thank my Master and Creator for this chance.

Lil Brother
"Always bring out of the woods, more than what you brought in."--Gene A. Garrett

After a hiatus like you had, I can well imagine just how excited you must feel. I have my acreage to hunt on. Plus, I can go across the road as well and hunt that 150 acres. I am going to built a tree stand and set it up on my property so I do not have to walk so much. These days, that gets to be a little rough at times.

Congratulations.

Sunny skies, clear water, calm seas

M

I am so happy that you are again enjoying the great outdoors. I have always enjoyed the outdoors too! Thanks for sharing this very enjoyable story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I love setting in a blind and watching nature, I have not done it in years now. My interest in killng game has waned a bit but have no problem with other doing it. Once i get up north I might start again.

The guy Mary bought the property from stopped last fall for a chat. He said he had eighty acres butting up to the hunt club at the end of our street and was welcome to hunt it any time if I just contacted him first. I am thinking about it.

It is tough no being able to do things you love but that is life I guess. Everything changes. It is important for me to look for new interests as my situation changes. It is good to see you still on the mend and getting up in that stand had to be quite an accomplishment for you.

Take a picture of the buck you get or at least a few pictures from the blind.

n/t

good luck on bagging that buck!

Dave

replies. Maybe it's just psychological, but I think a good cold snap makes all wild animals get up and move around. Either they feel that certain time of year is here again or they just plain want to keep warm.

I will never ever have a bad day hunting or fishing again and that's for sure. I feel privileged to be able to get up and go. Now, if I can pry my butt out of bed Saturday, I'll be doing real good. :lol:

I now have 3 different salt licks out and one, I can almost throw a rock and hit it. I'll check them all out this weekend. Right now I had better call Arkie to see how the Turkey hunt went today.

Lil Brother:)

...and kilt a couple a big toms as you were ailin'. But I KNOW I'll be suckin' hind tittie next time, cause you are....

BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN!

I love you brother, and I'm sure glad to have you back!!!!!!! :D

Johnboy