Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Awsome thanksgiving hunt! :clapping:

bazooka

(Posted originally at dirtjournal.com)

11/27/08: A Swing and a Miss! - Thanksgiving day! It's been a good month but I wanted what will probably be my last hunt of the month to be a good one. I knew there wouldn't be anyone at the "church houses" that I hunted a few months ago so I decided to take my 6" Excellerator and pick up a few wheats that I may have missed. I expected this hunt to be over pretty shortly as I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time covering the front yard where I had my first and only three-silver-day.

112708yard.jpg

I started in the very small front yard of the second house which is just to the left of the picture. I actually had not hunted there before so I wanted to get it out of the way first. It's a rectangle about 8 foot by 8 foot and has been slightly filled for some landscaping boxes. I picked out a few wheats at around six inches which was a nice way to start. I then moved on to the primary house and started next to the sidwalk on the street side in public property land, right next to the telephone pole in the picture. Right off the bat I hit a half-dollar-sized disk that appeared to be copper. After checking it out for a bit, I realized I had found my first "coupon" type token! Cool!!

112708tokenobverse.jpg
112708tokenreverse.jpg

I slowed down my hunt realizing the potential this small strip held. I put it off before because a short initial hunt with the stock coil produced nothing but solid null. With power lines overhead and plenty of larger targets in the ground below, it's a demanding area to hunt. If any coil was up to the challenge, I knew it was the 6" Excellerator on the end of my SE. I scored a few more wheat's before getting another large disk, my second token for the day, identical to the first! Double prizes!!

I worked the strip even harder and was rewarded with some more wheats. None were deeper than six inches which was suprising as the ground looked like it had been filled. I guess you just never know, huh?

After finishing the strip I moved on to the main yard, starting a grid perpendicular to the one I ran the first time I hunted the house. I really wasn't expecting much, but on my second pass, I nailed a wheat at about five inches. It wasn't masked and it sounded great, I'm not sure how I could have missed it the first time. Not long after, I got another and another! I dug a few shallow targets too. They turned out to be Memorial's. That is until I got careless on a penny-sounding signal that pinpointed about two inches.

Ugh! I knew as it rolled back into the hole that I got a hold of it pretty good with the digger. Well, it's silver coin # 14 for the year anyway! A nice worn '47 Rosie. I like silver when it's been used a lot. I mean, I like off-the-mint silver too, but the old worn silver has a unique antique look too it that I'm fond of, especially with the Washington quarters. Anyway... I slipped my prize into my right pocket after drying the tears and started popping out more wheats.

112708rosieobverse.jpg
112708rosiereverse.jpg

I had covered just over half the yard when I got to the front step. Immediately in front of the front step I got a solid null. I slowed way down and in the middle of the null I got a real nice quarter signal real shallow. Well, I had learned my lesson. I knew in this particular yard, shallow didn't necessarily mean clad.

I used the X-1 to find the target before I even dug and my Lesche recovered this unique and very sweeeeet coin! When I picked it up, I read "Tails, you lose." I realized I was looking at an elephant's rear end. Oh goody! I saw the date 1936 at the bottom. I flipped it over to the "win" side to see that it was a Texas centennial good luck coin. Awsome!! What a cool find. And right next to it was yet another wheat penny!

112708centennialobverse.jpg
112708centennialreverse.jpg

I popped out a few more wheats on my way to complete the yard. Did I mention how suprised I was to see how many wheats I had missed the first time around? I guess the stock coil was just too big for this yard. I'm glad I returned! And what a good day too, not a single person showed up to either of the houses. I was alone and in all my detecting glory! Before I finished the yard though, I got a nickel signal right next to the huge tree and I saw a nickel laying on the surface. My coil hit it and knocked the layer of dust off. It's very worn and I can only distinguish that it is from the 40's. Possibly '48 or '49, but certainly not a war nickel. Nice, old, and worn, just the way I like 'em! After I had finished the front yard, I went back to the strip and worked my way back to the car picking up a few more wheats to add to the stack.

What a great day!! By the time I was done, I had accumulated eighteen wheats, mostly from the 40's and 50's but the oldest was a 1919, the silver dime, the two coupon tokens, the Texas Centennial coin, and an old Jefferson. Many of those coins were in an area that I had ran a tight grid over before. I'm guessing it was a combination of the small coil and much more experience with the SE that led me to recover those missed coins.

112708finds.jpg

I love those smorgasbord type hunts where a little bit of everything pops up .... keeps it interesting & fun.

Good Hunting
Mike

Great post . . . the ones that tell a story that make us feel we are there with you are first rate.

Shows what making a slight change - to your settings or coil size - can do in terms of reworking a site and seeing what is still there.

Andy Sabisch

WTG with all them great finds Bazooka. It sure is amazing just how many Coins can still be at a spot you previously detected with the Bigger Coils isn't it. Looks like the 6" was the right ticket to land a bunch more Keepers...that and the added experience logged onto your Explorer.

I like the Coupon Tokens and the Head and Tails Token also. Great Finds! Excellent Post Bazooka! Great Read! Looks like I might have to check in on getting a 6" Coil for next Spring and see if I can't get lucky with it also. I have a ton of sites Iron Laden that still have a few treasures I am sure so we will see.

Hope your Thanksgiving was a good one buddy! Continued Success, Good Luck and HH.:thumbup:

It was a wondeful buffet of goodies!

James, I really like the 6" Excellerator although the only coils I have to compare it to are the 8" ML and the stock slimline. I think it actually goes deeper than the 8" ML, but that may just be because I had much less experience and "deep target understanding" the last time I used it. So far my deepest with the 6" was a few wheats at 8". After yesterday, it's taken over as my primary coil from the stock.

like that little killer 6" excelerator coil:clapping:
Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving...and a super hunt as well. Nice finds buddy:thumbup:
The only way I'll ever take off my 10 x 12 SEF coil will be probably be to put the 6" excelerator on:bouncy:

I feel the same way buddy.:thumbup: Here's a link to a post from a few months ago on how I feel about the 6" Excelerator coil. i knew you would like it.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,794580,795158#msg-795158
I would have to say I have a 2-way tie for my alltime favorite coils now...6" Excelerator...and SEF 10 x 12 coil..what a lethal combo.
The 1050 coil ranks up there too...and the 10 x 14 is as deep as you'll ever want to dig....but the 6" and the 10 x 12 are at the top for me.

Great finds bazooka and nice post.:detecting: I think Bryce and James are rubbing off on you.:clapping: I really think you are getting the hang of it now. Best of luck on your next outing and HH.

Eddie

I love finding old coins but the oddities such as tokens are great additions to any collection. I really like the dated "heads/tails" Texas Centennial. Great condition too. Nice hunt indeed.

Crispytoo