Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Automax V2 Pinpointer

englishprof

I'm ashamed to ask this, but how does this sucker work? If I turn the sensitivity knob left until the squealing starts, then back it off until it gets quiet, the pinpointer can't even find my car. I can bounce a quarter off this thing without getting a response. I know it must be me, so would someone kindly explain this thing to me? I was going to ask my 16-year-old daughter, who could explain how to work it in an instant, but I'm already on her list of the 10 dumbest people on the earth and I don't want to give her anything more to work with.

Sounds like it's not working right. Normally, you
want to adjust it like a squelch on a radio.
The best sensistivity to weak signals is with it right
on the edge of sounding, but still quiet. IE:, back
it to the left until it sounds, but roll it back just
enough that it quits. Then stick a coin anywhere from
the tip to about 2-3 inches back to the first section
joint. You see the probe devided into 3 sections, which
I guess are glued together. Only the last section is "hot".
If a coin is not setting it off, it's broke and needs
repair. But I'd try a fresh battery just to make sure
it's not that. If the battery is good enough to vibrate,
it's good enough to work. I have one I bought with the ace
250, and mine works quite well. Good for about a solid inch
on coins anyway. More on big stuff. It sensitive to very
small pieces of metal when in a hole. I'd send it back if
still under warranty. Sounds like it ain't workin to me if
a coin at the tip won't set it off. :(
MK

Englishprof: I had similar problems, and learned from KellyR what to do about it.

Remove the chrome belt clip (2 Phillips screws); you will see a small hole; insert slender phillips driver to screw inside of box and adjust sensitivity left or right till you get maximum sensitivity.

My sens. increased from 1/2" to 1-1/2-2" easily; sometimes more.

Then drill a hole in the chrome clip so you won't have to remove it again for further adjustments.

If that doesn't work, then send it in. Hope this helps

:) I can't help you with the pinpointer, but completely understand why you don't want to ask your daughter, it's a humbling experience. I've "been there, done that" at my house.

HH
Larry

Hi Dick, Wasn't aware of that trick. I'll have to store
that away in case I ever have trouble with mine.
MK

Dick is right, After I adjusted the little phillips screw under the chrome clip, my V2 is now working better than when I got it. Drilling a 5/16 hole in the chrome clip really helped, I can now adjust it when ever I want to, to keep it tip top.

Kelly
Socorro N.M.