Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Auto license plates"

Ron J

This subject may not be of interest to most of you,unless you need to register a vehicle! As a kid,i always was interested in license plates,wanted one from every state! Never pursued it,but kept any plates i could get my hands on.

Around 1967,i as returning from a vaca in Montreal,returning by cutting across Le'praire?,thru upstate VT.,down thru the White Mountains in N.H. Halted at a barnsale,and was looking thru a box of 1930's N.H. lic plates.

A guy a couple of yrs older than i,approached me,inquiring,about my interest in the plates. He introduce himselve as Tom Smith,vacationing from Virginia.He informd me of a club,dedicated to license plates!! Called "A.L.P.C.A" Auto License Plate Collectors Assoc. Needless to say,i became member #1554 shortly after that, by chance meeting.

You know whats next! The chase was on,i went to tow yards,junk yards,advertised in local "bargain hunter" guides.Chased all leads.Finally recieved firt edition of the ALPCA newsletter,and a complete roster of all members. I wanted every year of every state!(dope) I wrote letters to every member.Letters to every Datsun dlr,why not,i was a Partsmanager at a Datsun dlr? Got a lot of response from both. Still did not have a plate,fro m every state!

Finally I set goals! First,a plate from all 50 states.Second a plate for every year of the original 13 colonies! Third,a plate for every year of every state! Hell,i was only 17 or so!!:lol:

Finally I acheived the first goal,Wisconsin was the last of the 50,i needed.Got it from a friends brother who was a trucker. Now to work on that second goal!

Back then you could write to any member,ask for certain years from his home state,and swap the same from your state! It wasn't a big money thing YET.Alot of friendly trading went on. It took awhile,but i finally realized i was nuts,and better specialize.By now my cellar was covered wall to wall with plates!!

I started to specialize,narrowing my collection to porcelain plates only.Meaning mostly they were from 1903 to maybe the mid twenties.Became a heavy hitter with other collectors. Some plates could reach couple hundred dollars each,depending on yr,state,condition.Met many friends thru the club.

Every year Alpca hosted a National Convention,3rd week of June.Had to book a hotel,and space,a year in advance! The first National i attended was in ENID OKLAHOMA,(Home of the first parking meter)in 1974.Drove there with a fellow collector,and very good friend,Conrad Hughson.His ALPCA # is 290 i think.He started in the 50's!

We took a 69 GTO i owned at the time.Took three days to get there,even with my lead foot! We spent a day at the ARCHWAY,and sailed on a paddlewheel on the MIGHTY MISSISSIPPI! I'll never forget it.Spent 3 days in ENID,just dealing,swapping license plates.

Attended many Nat'l meets over the years.One National was at the University of Michigan,the whole convention hall was filled with license plate collectors,for the 3 days.People from most states,Canada,and Europe attended. A couple of years later,I sold my collection,to try to save a marriage.Should of sold the EX! Oh Well!

In the early 80's,the license plate bug,BIT ME again!I had visited my buddy Conrad,in Vermont,and of course he showed me some of his collection. I remember leaving with a few porcelin plates,and a mighty thin wallet!:lol: Within a couple of years,my LIVINGROOM walls were full of first issue's and porcelin license plates.Linda,did not like the decor,but she knew the choice,NONE!:lol:

Did'nt matter anyhow,around 84 or 85,the MUSCLECAR BUG bit me,BIG TIME. Sold the 2nd plate collection for a hefty $um.

Alittle license plate trivia:: First State to issue a number,you made the base,leather,shingle,or painted #'s on the veh,1901 or 1902.(i forget)? NEW YORK! First State to issue a license plate? TAXACHUSETTS in 1903,starting with #1 In 1916,the numbers hit SIX digits! For Fred :lol: TEXAS first year of issue? 1915 (if i remember correctly without cheating) Maine issued BRASS plates,supposedly scrap ammo from the war,in late 1946,alum yr tag in 47,and All BRASS in 1948. Arizona issued COPPER plates in 1932/33/34. Also in the 60's,70's,80's,their Horseless Carriage plates.(Antique Car)

Massachusetts had a bit of a problem in 1928,A Codfish was stamped on all passenger plates.The problem was, the fish was "swimming' away from the State name on the plate,it was a bad year for the fishing industry,and being superstious,they blamed this issue.

In 1929,the State "made good" by only stamping the Codfish on Commercial/truck plates,and made the Cod "swim" back towards the state name! This plate is really scarce,because of limited truck production,versus passenger producton. Idaho,in the early 40's i believe,had a large SPUD stamped on their plates.

Hope you enjoyed the subject! I have many pictures,but currently unable to share them. Hopefully within a fw weeks i can post some!:lol: RJ

I have never seen a porcelain, copper, or brass licence plate...only painted licence plates. Once in a while, I would run across an old licence plate on some ranch, but rather than thinking that it was worth something, we usually used it for target practice...sorry!

Your story has now made me aware of the fact that this licence plate collecting is a large hobby. Ron, next time I find a decent licence plate, I will get it for you. Of course, I will make sure it does not have any bullet holes in it. I bet that other folks on this Forum will also "bird dog" for you and send you some old ones when they spot them.

Thanks for posting such an interesting story...never knew much about this subject before. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

PS: Wish you would post some pictures of some old licence plates when you have time.

there were copper plates.

It is very interesting and I too will keep my eyes open for plates. Old plates were common years ago but now I know why I don't see them any more.

Interesting post:super:

Canada, being that much smaller, has that many fewer plates. One friend has seriously tried to get every year of each provinces' plate. I do not know if he got there but his collection is extensive.!!

Like Fred, I will try to bird dog some of B.C, s' plates for you.

Sunny skies

M

n/t