Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:ausflag: An Aussie coin question.

Dangerous_Dave

Are there any Aussies here who could help out with a few coin questions.

I believe that the Garretts are calibrated to the American coins and would pretty much show on the screen as what they are, but how do the Aussie coins compare? Size and type of material would make them show up as something different I am assuming.

You're all gunna tell me this is a learning thing aren't you? and I will start to figure it out for myself.

Anyway, any advice would be helpful.

Dave.

G'day Dave.
I have the GTI, but I assume that the notches are the same on both machines. Those that have both machines can confirm if this is correct.
Here is where Aussie coins show up on the screen.
Decimal coins. 5c=3.5, 10c=4, 20c=5, 50c=5.5 or 6, $1= mostly 7.5, sometimes 7, $2= mostly 7, sometimes 7.5, 1c= 8, 2c= 8.5.
Our pre-decimal coins show up as follows. Post 1945 silver (50%). three pence= 5.5, six pence=7, shilling=7.5, florin=8.5 with some bouncing from 8 to 9.
Our pre-decimal pre 1945 silver coins are as follows. three pence=7.5,six pence= 8.5 but bounces around a lot from 8 to 9. I have no shillings to give you a read out. Florin= 10.5 with some bouncing.
A half penny= 8.5, a penny=9.5 and last but not least; a gold sovereign, should you be lucky enough to come across one, is a solid 6.
Yes our coins are different from US coins, but I can strongly recommend that you set up in custom mode, the US coins mode with notches 5 and 5.5 added. This will reduce a LOT of signals and allow you to operate with greater ease. I have noticed also, that in this set up, you can recover 5 and 10 cent coins without having so many pull tabs showing up.
As the sizing on the GTP is different, I can't offer much advice there.
Mick Evans.

A quick visual reference to Au coins.
Works on a GTA 1000 and a GTI 2000
Late pre decimal silver Top.
Early pre decimal silver middle.
Current Au decimal coins bottom
Yellow is for $-$ coins. Orange is for copper
Most gold rings are in the pull-tab range. (most but not all)
Silver rings are usually in the silver coin range. (3. 6. S. F.)