Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Pro Question about Ground Balance

Gopher John

What, if anything does the Ground Balance setting do to my ATP besides making the back-ground noise be less or non existent. Does it cause me to miss targets if set wrong? Does it cut down on the depth of detection? I just fail to see any correlation to the other settings. I have watched the videos and can do both auto and manual G.B. but feel like I might be missing something. Thanks for any insight you can share with me. I am very happy with the Garrett AT Pro.

[size=medium]Ground balancing the detector is simply, the term used to describe the function of adjusting the metal detector to ignore the minerals in the soil so that they are not detected by the metal detector.[/size]

The ATpro is very forgiving is you don't get the GB just right. Your still going to do just fine.

I've got a deep dime buried in my test garden at 8 1/2 inches. At full sensitivity, I can barely hit it at normal ground balance (80 for my ground). If I drop my ground balance 10 points below normal (70), I get a much better signal on the dime. Its scratchy but the high tones come through in a much more pronounced fashion.

Thanks everyone. That information from dgc is very helpful as I have been setting my GB to the + side of the automatic reading. Much , much THANKs!!

I learn so much from this forum!! Thanks ALL. [size=x-large]:garrett:[/size]

An Old Gopher in S.W. Michigan John

Gopher John said:
Thanks everyone. That information from dgc is very helpful as I have been setting my GB to the + side of the automatic reading. Much , much THANKs!!

I learn so much from this forum!! Thanks ALL. [size=x-large]:garrett:[/size]

An Old Gopher in S.W. Michigan John

Glad to help John. I suggest you use this technique when you are searching clean ground for the deep ones. Dropping the GB throws the numbers off a little and makes the detector just a wee bit more sensitive to ground minerals. So you may here some light background chatter you're not used to. If you get short low tones in the background you can up the iron disc till they quiet down. In trashy ground, I suggest you stay with a normal ground balance.

Yes the depth is affected by a higher ground balance.

To test this in air...set grnd bal on 20, test a coin on its depth. Then set the grnd bal on 90 and do the same depth test....see the difference?

My GTI 2500 depth is not affected by this same test. I guess it might be because of auto-tracking?

Alan