Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT Pro DD Coil Question

LandRunSeeker

Hey Everyone!

I am new to md and have purchased the AT Pro. As a beginner would you recommend learning with the 8.5" x 11" DD coil or the small 5" x 8" DD coil. I have a basic understanding of the different uses for the coils but as I am learning to use my AT Pro did not know which one would be better to learn the detector? I have had the detector for about a month now.

Thanks,

LandRunSeeker

If you are fairly new to the game I would suggest the 5x8 as it will see a few less targets and will pin point easier. The key, which ever you use, is to dig a lot of targets and learn the tones and readings. Probably not run sen. at max, either. Back off a couple, three bars for several hours, particularly if hunting a target rich environment. Good luck! HH jim tn

I turned down the sensitivity and that has helped a lot. I will try the small coil. Some times I can pinpoint well other times I seem fairly far off target, so your advice makes a lot of sense. I am working on learning the tones and readings but have a lot to learn. I did go out last night and found a couple of pieces of costume jewelry, nothing special but it was exciting to find more than some clad coins, bottle caps or tabs. Thanks for the information!

jim tn said:
If you are fairly new to the game I would suggest the 5x8 as it will see a few less targets and will pin point easier. The key, which ever you use, is to dig a lot of targets and learn the tones and readings. Probably not run sen. at max, either. Back off a couple, three bars for several hours, particularly if hunting a target rich environment. Good luck! HH jim tn

Jims right the 5x8 will be a lot more forgiving and it separates trash and good targets very well easy pinpointing as stated . just get you some targets such as rusted twist caps and use the iron audio feature if you get a jumpy signal and high tone it will have a growl at the end of the swing on them train your ear to listen and hear these suttle tone changes and I recommend starting on Pro Zero and listen more info is provided good Luck

Great info. I will try the Pro Zero Mode. I have been on Stan Zero. I was also wondering how to use the iron audio feature, so I can't wait to go out and give it a try. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will post a good find soon.

Watch the instruction videos on the Garrett website. Pinpointing takes some practice with those double d coils. The heel or toe method of pinpointing really works good especially if you are having problems.

I will watch that video again. Thanks for the tip. I am starting to get the hang of it but still have some finds when I seem off by quite a distance. Thanks to everyone for information.