Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

At first I thought "clad quarter"...but then I realized I better double that and go back 141 years

JimmyCT

I was certainly not expecting this today! A very good friend of mine ( fwcrawford ) encouraged me to go back to this area after finding an old glass bottle a few months ago. I realized this morning (in talking with fwcrawford) the bottle was from a much older time period then I thought. (The glass bottle dates to time period 1860-1880.) So I figured I would just "fool around" at this hunting spot as I have hunted this (as many others as well) a gazillion times. A lot of this area has been filled in (a good 4-5 feet deep) with gravel and rocks which really makes me sad :cry: I obviously stay away and headed towards a steep decline and hunted a nearby hillside. Towards the end of my three hour tour, I straddle / climb over a fallen tree and as I was bringing my detector coil down towards the ground I got a TID of 28. Swept some more and the TID climbed to 33. "Hmmmm I thought to myself, "self, could this be a quarter?" I dug into the ground and approximately an 1 1/2" into the soil, out pops my first ever Seated Half Dollar from 1878!

Thanks fwcrawford for telling me to get off my duff :rofl:

Lol,ya just never know , I mean how did that get missed in the past? I’ve had same experience in my own backyard years ago when I got anew coil for my gta-1000.. took it out in the yard popped a 1876 seated quarter only like 1/4” deep??? How the heck did I miss it so many times prior?? Don’t know... congrats on the seated half..

Ain’t many people who’ve found Seated halves...probably less than who’ve found Morgans. What an incredible find! You covered the area around it thoroughly....right?

Very nice find Jim.... i’m glad you showed me the bottle and I
could help to date it, but I can’t take any credit for you finding that Half dollar.
You have been hot with that Equinox lately and with this find, you are just tempting
me with that new detector of yours.
Like the other guy stated... how could this coin get missed ?
I searched a small yard several times a few years ago and also found
one that was about one inch deep.... don’t know how in the world I missed it
the first two times.
Glad you didn’t miss this one.
Congratulation on your first Seated coin and a half dollar at that !!!

Swing left or swing right you made all the right moves congrats!
I found my first seated half with an Equinox also :beers:
HH Jeff

Awesome find you never know when a great coin will show up! that'sone I'm still hunting for..
HH
Mark

I might of had to change my shorts :rofl:

Sand dog said:
Wow! Awesome find. My heart would’ve skipped a beat.

John

IDX interesting statistics! When I found the coin I was on fire!! lol I was combing under and over logs, trudging through the Mountain Laurel, kicking sticks out of the way etc. Unfortunately there were no other signals in a good 20 foot radius. I plan to go back and hunt this hillside more. It is a perfect spot to sit, have lunch and lookout and see the forest below.

IDXMonster said:
Ain’t many people who’ve found Seated halves...probably less than who’ve found Morgans. What an incredible find! You covered the area around it thoroughly....right?

Come on Felix you get credit for at least telling me to go back to the area. Funny thing is I walked passed that area and headed a good 100 feet to the West of where I found the bottle.
This isn't my first seated coin at the hunting spot. I found (what else? ) 4 seated dimes lol

fwcrawford said:
Very nice find Jim.... i’m glad you showed me the bottle and I
could help to date it, but I can’t take any credit for you finding that Half dollar.
You have been hot with that Equinox lately and with this find, you are just tempting
me with that new detector of yours.
Like the other guy stated... how could this coin get missed ?
I searched a small yard several times a few years ago and also found
one that was about one inch deep.... don’t know how in the world I missed it
the first two times.
Glad you didn’t miss this one.
Congratulation on your first Seated coin and a half dollar at that !!!

That's a winner for sure. Good for you

Thank you both for your comments and kind words.

Trailduster said:
congrats. thats a heck of find.

CT Todd said:
That's a winner for sure. Good for you

earthlypotluck said:
It is a perfect spot to sit, have lunch and lookout and see the forest below.
Someone in 1878 may have had the same idea! Congrats!