Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Asking permission

GNILAEH

Do anyone make any kind of offer ( part of your finds ) to a property owner to hunt their land?

No! Do not offer. Some may ask, but finders keepers.

If you really think that the site may be worth it, and they want someting in return (besides you digging the trash off their property), maybe give 'em the modern clad. But don't encourage it. Let them spend $1000 on detecting gear and they can find it themselves.

Unfortunately that's the attitude that keeps landowners from letting people detect on their property. We have a pretty good size farm that has good finds on it, both Civil War and very old coins, but in reality it belongs to me. I just haven't found it yet, or may never find it. If I choose to let someone detect, I certainly let them keep their finds, but I'm not obliged to. Whenever I go knocking on doors, I always say that I'll split the finds, or even pay a fee up front for the privilege to hunt. You don't get something for nothing in this world, and why should you?

I've hunted places where the owner said I could keep what I find. And I've hunted places where the owner wanted all of it. On several occassions, I've went to the property at their request in an effort to find a cache or some piece of lost jewelry. And no matter what the "rules" were, I stayed true to my word. Been doing that for nearly 40 years and never had a dispute during or after the hunt. Just be upfront and honest. Regardless of "which" owner you come across, my best advice is to make the arrangements before you take the detector out of the bag. Otherwise, someone is going to be disappointed. JMHO HH Randy

I was detecting a old site with my brother (hotrod53) and a nice guy gave him permission for us to hunt his farm property. He didn't want anything that we found but he was actually as interested or possibly even more interested than we were to see what we could find. I didn't get the impression that he hadn't owned this property for very long although it had a 1700's or 1800's log home on the property at one time that he had torn down.

My brother said "If we find some nice old stuff here I'm going to give the guy an old indian or something being that he is as interested as we are." I'm fairly new to detecting and at first I thought "I'm here with nearly $1000 bucks in detecting equipment, I'm not sure that I would want to give up anything that I found even if we do well."

We ended up not doing anywhere near as well as we had hoped. My brother found a small handful of coins, our Mom had a few and I had 6 or 8. I had found the only silver, a 40's quarter that was black and I had a penny that was pretty crusty that we had no idea what it was . We kept examining it with a magnifier every time we took a break and my brother thought it may have been an indian and I really couldn't tell.

The guy stopped by as we were packing the detectors and my brother was hand writing him a sort of thank you note to leave on his tractor in the barn which detailed what we found. We told him that I had found a silver quarter and a crusty penny that we thought may have been an indian but the rest were wheats and memorial pennies and if I remember correctly, just a couple of clad coins. When I got home and used a brass brush on the crusty penny it turned out that it was an 1883 indian. I was surprised but it's was the worst example of an indian that I have seen.

Anyway, the further I get from that day of detecting the more I understand where my brother was coming from by saying that he was going to give the guy a coin if we did well. I'm sure there are differing opinions on this topic based on some of the previous posts in this thread already. In this case, this was farm property that this gentleman had just purchased. He had spent his time and or money to demo this old log home not to mention cut the field around it with whatever piece of farm equipment he uses to do that. We walk onto the property nicely mowed and he doesn't know us from anyone. We live an hour and a half from this place so it's not like we are locals and he is nice enough to let us spend as long as we want trying to find whatever we can find. It also made us very excited to detect this property being that in think this guy was silently rooting us on to do well even though he didn't want anything that we found.

I think people really need to examine the situation before making a snap judgement. If they say you can't keep anything that you find then it's obviously your choice to walk away and in some cases, that may be the best option but sometimes it's more about the thrill of the hunt depending on the site. We always say that if someone says that we can't keep anything, let's find everything we can but we're going to take a picture of the find for our own records.

One last thing is that I have a friend that recently purchased a detector. He lives in a fairly old community and had he not purchased a detector I think he would be someone that I would have been able to ask to detect on his property. His first day of detecting in his yard he found a standing liberty half that based on some details we feel could have only been lost by his late father. Although I would have loved to been the guy that found that and gave it to him had it been me detecting on his property, the only thing better could have been for him to find it himself and being the first one to pick it up after his Dad lost it.

I think you just really need to weight the situation and if your one of those people that just don't want to give up what you find then you know what the right thing for you to do is. I'm starting to be more about the history or thrill of the hunt.

mapper65 said:
I'm starting to be more about the history or thrill of the hunt.

my feelings exactly! You've arrived! HH Randy