Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Asking Permission:veryangry:

greatwhite

I had 2 old homes , one an old mill house at least 100 years old and another homestead at least 80 years old.Did the research,contacted the company that owned the property...Utz Quality Foods in Hanover Pa...Had actually done carpentry work on the vice-presidents mansion. Contacted his assistant with my request to metal detect on there property. Mentioned that I met the boss and had done work for him....Reply from assistant said due to" potential liability" no one was permitted on the property. I responded that I would be more than happy to sign a liability waiver.,and had one we could use ,so she wouldn't have to write one up. Thanks but the answer is still "no" we just don't want anyone on the property. :ranting:Why didn't she just say that to begin with. I doubt she even asked the vice-president of a multi-million dollar cooperation about metal detecting. I would of cut out the assistant if I could of .It sucks trying to go through the proper channels and still getting the door slammed in your face.
On the brighter side I did get permission to detect the local elementary school ,but doubt that has the kind of treasure the old homes did.

Don't blame the company, the assitant, or the executive. Blame the money grubbing sue-happy morons of this country and their lawyers. I own half a small company and the liability insurance eatsme alive. I let one person who doesn't belong there for work or sales purposes onto one of my sites and my liability insurance disappears even if that person doesn't get hurt and make a claim. Just the fact that I did not limit my exposure to liability and lawsuits costs me my insurance. Liability waivers don't hold up in court. You can sign a hundred of them, get hurt, sue and still win. Just part of the screwed up world we live and do business in. I am sorry to say that if you came to me and asked permission to come onto one of my sites I would have to say no too. Would hate to say know but would have to so I could keep my insurance and company.

Thanks for another perspective. It sucks that things have gotten to that point in our society. If you don't live near the beach or own private land your out of luck.....Maybe you could put me on the pay roll, and then I could metal detect your property.::detecting:

I have had similar experiences. Being turned down is not fun at all.

Your best bet, when possible, is to ask permission face to face. Be sure you do not show up looking like a homeless person. Wear clean clothes, shave, look presentable. Do not wear T-shirt expressing your opinion on politics, religion or your favorite acid rock band. First impressions could make or break the deal.

Unfortunately, our society has gone litigation crazy and most folks just feel it is safer to say NO. Hang in there, you will eventually get permission at another location. Remember to always be pleasant during a face to face, even if they say no. Thank them for their time and tell them if they change their mind they can contact you. ( At this point you hand them your business card, you know the one that has your name, telephone number, home address on it and says Metal Detecting Hobbyist) If you do not have one, you home compute can print up a bunch in no time.

Ray S

Yea, I know how you feel. They are tearing down a log cabin built in 1749. It is an empty field. I asked permission and they were worried about liability and said no. Nothing I said would change their minds.

Have to agree with you ......... two old homesites were burned by the fire department and I asked the owner (who has a business next door) to hunt and the answer was no. Said they had ben vandlized and didn't allow anyone on the property. Would I ask permission in writing if I were going to tear something up!!! Well, guess I'm off to ask permission somewhere else I guess. Last four letters sent have not met with any positive answers - will try in person when I have the time I guess. Good hunting to you all.

I used to be a vendor for paper mills and other industries. I had to carry a one million dollar liability policy on my car just so I could drive it on to their property. The world has gone crazy.

Probably the easiest thing to do is just don't ask. If there isn't anyone living on the property and there aren't any no trespassing signs the worse they can do is ask you to leave (if they see you). If you ask permission, they don't really have a choice but to say no - like JD said. Unfortunately, that is the way things are today.

Asking is always good, but then trespassing isnt. Each state has thier own meaning to trespass. For instance I lived in Wisconsin for 6 years , while there I wasnt MD'ing but I love to fish. One crazy trespass law which they excecute to the fullest understanding ,yours and anything they can conjure up is. When fishing running water , your feet must be wet when on privated property to be considered not trespassing. Meaning if your fishing a stream river etc that runs thru someones property , and your not walking in the water , then your trespassing . In Missouri and I have found the same one in Arkansas is the purple paint law. If the land isnt posted in any manner or fenced but there is purple paint 4 foot off the ground 3 foot high marked at 100 foot intervals thats considered as posting signs and observed or be treated as treaspasser . Dont know if that helps I know in the city it wont matter but those hunting homesteads in the country it might

I have 5 places, possibly a 6th, I'm lining up for permission for this year so far - sounds like the chances are really slim these days :blink:
:rage:

I live in Arkansas. I am a retired land surveyor. I am well versed on AR land law.

I wouldn't normally tell people on this forum that I trespass. But I know by the

markings if I am welcome on someones property. So, in a way, it's not trespassing.

It's legal. But disrespect of property owners has caused more and more property to

be posted. When I was a kid, I could walk down the street with a rifle and go just

about anywhere. Those are called the good old days now.

HH,

I was told long time ago that the ponds and lakes that are formed when county roads are built are public. Just as long as your feet are in the water. I have several lakes near me that was formed when a dam was built for gravel roads. But the good ones have no trespassing signs all over them. Is this "feet in the water" thing for real?

Here in Arkie Land, if a water way is deemed navigable, the property line is the high water mark.that's where the vegetation stops because of high water eroding the bank. Oddly enough navigable doesn't necessarily mean you can ride a boat on it. It's a definition of public use. So if you are inside the high water mark, you are on public land.

Other water ways go to the thread of the water way. That's an irregular line down the middle of the flow. Not the middle of the stream or water way.

Is that as clear as mud?

Other states are different on defining the property lines for water ways.

HH,

I'm probably more guilty than the rest. So I appologise.

Best Wishes and hope you get permission to hunt a great spot.

HH,

aside from trespassing, could digging holes, and covering them up be considered destruction of property? or taking the items that we unearthed on said property be stealing? I don't always ask permission, then again searching an old house being demo'd to me, is not the same as just going into someone