Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls!!

Micheal_R

Staff member
It was a dark and stormy night. [I always wanted to start a story with this classic line!! : ]Well, it was.!!.... one of the worst that had hit the lower Vancouver Island in many a year. The winds were howling at between 60 and 80 miles per hour. This was in December, so there was blowing snow leaving visibility anywhere close to zero. We were huddled up in house, knowing that the animals were all taken care of, keeping warm by the fireplace. The windows were rattling in their frames, snow was building up against the doors and we were snug in the house.

The next day, the snowfall had decreased, and while it had not totally stopped, the visibility was very much limited. We worked around the farm, getting all the chores done, and then headed off to our feed store for the days work. With all the snow on the roads, and Victoria being as unprepared as it usually is when snow arrives, the roads were not cleared for almost the whole day. Close to quitting time is when the roads were finally plowed. Needless to say, it was a pretty slow day at the store.

Two days later, this being Victoria, you could probably not have ever guessed that it had snowed. The rains came and washed most of the snow away and all that was left was the inevitable road cleaning from the surfeit of branches and trees that had fallen by the highways department. So it was in the winter of 1989, that Alice and I decided that, with the roads back in shape, we would go for a drive by the waterfront. We started, as we always did, at the breakwater, and then would our way through Beacon Hill Park, past Gonzales bay and headed into the city of Oak Bay, a suburb of Victoria. As we were passing the Oak Bay golf course, I looked over and saw what appeared to be a ship on the rocks.

A quick pull over and a better look and yes indeed, it was a ship

remember seeing one of these bells hanging, but I don't know if I remember seeing the compass! Imagine, the golf balls were the prize to the golfers. To each his own I guess! Good story, Mikie! Have a great day!:)

There are the two bells, one by each door. And they both have that beautiful tone when they ring.

Calm seas

Mikie

you all are the best friends I have in the world! And I would never intentionally do anything to make anyone on the forum think otherwise! :)

Diving stories have always fascinated me and I love to read about the diving adventures of others...even more so when they find treasure. I never knew that the ship's compass and bell were considered the top prize from a sunken ship. I hope that some day you do indeed build a new box for it. I think it is neat to use a ship's bell as a door bell for the home...wonder how it would work at this city home of ours. Mike, thanks for posting this great and interesting story...I really enjoyed reading it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I would guess that the wheel is probably one of the, if not the, top prize [if i may use that term], of a wreck. Personally, I love the bell. But a wheel would make a great wall hanger.. never found a [good] one yet. I have found pieces of them.. but that is another story.

Fair winds, my friend

Mikie

n/t

n/t

down on the Texas Gulf Coast after a hurricane hit the coast. My folks were living in Portland, Texas just north of Corpus Christi at the time. We drove down to see if we could help repair any damages to my parent's home, but it was OK other than minor damage. A day or two later, my Father and I drove a short distance up the coast and walked along the shore line. I found a boat steering wheel sticking up out of the mud a short distance out in the water. All that I remember was that it was about three feet in diameter and had some wood handles on it. I gave it to my Father and later he refinished it and hung it on a wall in their house. When he passed away, I think that Mother gave it to my brother, but not sure...on second thought, it may have been given to my sister. In any event it is gone somewhere, but should still be in the family. I also found many old bottles that day...big ones, little ones, round ones, square ones, all types of shapes. I found enough to fill up two large cardboard boxes and they are out in the garage somewhere. I never cleaned them and some of them have some of those things called barnacles attached to them. I do not know what I will eventually do with them, maybe build some shelves on one of the walls of this city house and display them. That should make Debbie happy, more junk in this house...already stuff in closets, in drawers, hanging on the wall. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Texas Gulf Coast is only a few hours drive from here and I do not know why I do not go down there and look for things washed up on the shore line. I hear tell that once in a while someone will find an old gold coin from a spanish ship wreck many, many years ago. I do know that you need to stay clear of the sand dunes with those long vines with big leaves because rattlesnakes live there. I went back there to use the bath room and saw two rattlesnakes...that was enough for me! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Those are the kinds of dives you dream about. I can just feel the excitement at seeing those items peering up from the bottom. Even now, a story on a wreck, gets me to wondering why, and how can I get at it. But diving is off limits to me now. Many fond memories of diving. My first best find was on and old ferry boat that used to run people across the Thames River here in CT from Groton to New London. Its last place of berth was just to the north of my fathers boat yard. You could still see the old pilings, or what was left of them sticking up from a fire that finished off that dock and the ferry itself. Locals said it laid there for many years what was left and finally disappeared under the water. Well, thats all I needed to hear. I was all over there and finally located the engine and the shaft going down into the mud. I did find some cleats, port holes and other metal objects. No bell, but I sure looked for it My attention them when to the prop. I wanted that prop in the worst way. It was big and 3/4 of it was in the mud. I finally got a guy that used to come to the boat yard with a small tug that ran out of Electric Boat or General Dymanics. They build all the nuke subs. I asked him if I could cable him off on the engine and shaft and see if he could wash enough of the mud away for me to get at it. He moved water for about and hour before he had to leave. That wasn't enough but the next day he came back and finished the job. I was able to get all around it. They had a small boom on board and pulled it up for me and loaded it back at the boat yard on the dock. It sat there for many years and folks would all ask about it. Our main boat yard building for working on the boats was back then a horse barn, that pulled the old trolly cars around. A lot of theold timers would tell me about it. I don't know what ever became of the prop but I wish I still had it.

George-CT

(tere

Like a dummy I got rid of some of them when bronze prices were high... OUCH. Diving is still my main milieu.. And will probably be until I leave [at least I hope I am healthy enough to be able to do it. :):]

Meanwhile, even poking around the wrecks on the lake or oceans is still a wonderful way to pass the time

Thaks for the story bud.

Fair winds

Mikie

n/t

It became illegal to use metal detectors on Padre Island. It is my understanding that they will give you a big fine if caught with a metal detector whether actually using it or not. In theory, if you find treasure or a gold coin, it belongs to the government, but I doubt if anyone will report finding one. A friend of our family had a son that helped pay his way through college at the University of Texas by going down there every month or two and coming back with a few gold coins. He evidently knew where the currents would wash them up on the beach. Say, Texas is pretty angry at the moment because Oklahoma University passed them in the national rankings and will be playing for the national championship. Sorry, let me get back on subject. Many of the areas along the coast is federal or state land and they will burn you at the stake if they discover you metal detecting. I just need to find out what areas are off limits and then go down there to look for old things. I would love to find one of those glass balls that are used in the fishing nets. Mike, you and Ron renewed my interest of making a trip to the coast, but I would take my pickup truck so that I could brings things back. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t