Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ARMADILLOS ---(PART TWO)

Cupajo

Along the Texas Gulf Coast are many small rural communities that have suffered from economic down turns (Read Near-Poverty) over the years. People there are mainly involved in working for or as farmers, ranchers, and business men that provide materials and supplies to the communities. There are a scattering of oil workers and a few retired folk living in the area for the lower cost of living to be had there. Some residents commute to larger towns and cities for the higher pay to be found.

Francitas, was the small town where we lived and had 52 people back in the

I never tried a piece of meat I considered gamey. A bit wild but what the heck, all of the above mentioned were wild and I expected nothing less. :D

I use to catch them for a family that use to eat them. I can remember riding down Hwy 99 before they built Choke Canyon lake and catching them. We could catch 15 to 20 in one evening. I hear now they carrier Leprosy, and you got to watch them. We caught a bunch of them as kids, and if they got in a hole an you had them by the tail you could never get them out. I was told if you poked them in the butt with a stick they would let go, I never had a stick with me. Frog legs are really good, you got to remove the little gray nerve that runs down the back of the leg are they will jump in the frying pan.

it hadn't been for venison, rabbits and squirrels when we were growing up, we would have most likely gone to bed hungry for sure! I learned something new now, and if I ever come across an armadillo, I'll know how to attempt to try and catch it!! (yeah,.....right!) :lol:

n/t

Hi Kids,

Armadillo doesn't taste like chicken altho I've heard people say it does. I find it a good meaty flavor that to me is more like veal. When made into sausage it could be mistaken for pork.

They are so easy to catch that they vertually disappear during bad times. The mature animal may reach 15 plus pounds "on the hoof " and sometimes larger.

Regards to you all,

Cupajo

am not much into trophy hunting. Now if I was hunting for meat and there was a trophy in the area I would wait for it but unlike many trophy hunters, if I shot the sucker I would bring more than its head out of the woods.

If the dillo's are legal to hunt, then I say hunt them. If a critter is destructive to man or property then I try to relocate it or kill it. I have eaten many a fish and frog that never hurt me at all though but they are good eating:thumbup:

Including Alligator snapping turtles that can get HUGE and could easily bite a arm off. Just get em by the tail and make SURE you don't let them get within snapping range of your body! I have caught many of them away from the water -have eaten a few too. I don't expect they can run as fast as a armadillo .....and they tend to stand thrir ground and fight! I have never eaten a armadillo....but over the last few years we have gotten a lot of them around here as they have migrated north. They are thick around here now but when I was a kid there were none....if they had been there is no doubt we would have ate them as we ate just about anything else we could catch!