Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Arkansas Autumn 2007 (Lil' Bro's Harvest) Finale

Arkie John

After waiting for a time, Tom got down and eventually tracked the deer up...a nice 6-point about 170 pounds. That's when he called me and first told me of his good fortune.

Now. I woke Tom from his nap and we lightened our load and headed back down the trail a half mile, maybe. We got to the place where Tom shot the buck but after several circles through the woods we had trouble locating it. So, we did the tracking thang all over again.

Lucky for us Tom did a number on the ole' boy, even though it was a few inches high. It STILL got the aft section of the lungs, but it made for a longer search. The blood drops were telling us his direction was generally southeast. We tracked him through the brush and over an old overgrown logging road of yesteryear and into the most god-awful thicket around the whole area. Tom forged ahead of me and I heard him yell as he rediscovered his prize.

A prize he was too. He had his new winter coat and a slick pair of antlers that Tom will be proud of. Any deer kill with a bow is good, but your FIRST one is special. Tom has killed two or three with a crossbow before I shamed him into selling it and gettin a "man's" bow :lol: . ( a mathews)

We both donned the surgical gloves and broke out the knives. Tom did the honors and before I knew it the ole' buck's balls were hangin' nose-high in a tree for the whole world to see!! :lol: Arrrrrrrr. That's my little brother for you.

Then, Tom systematically completed the field dressing with the expertise given him by his father many years ago. This was really special for me, you gotta know.

After we admired him for a good long while and after hearing his story again, we grabbed him around the antlers and began draggin' the buck down the trail, back to the Hilltop for butchering. Within two hours the ole' buck was history and in the frig for 'firming up' before final butchering.

It was a GREAT way to begin the season. It was not only a good experience for Tom but for the both of us. It is a hunt we both will remember the rest of our days.

Thanks so much for reading our story. Tom will be back on one of these days, whenever he gets over bein' 'provoked' by computers (neither of us can get DSL). He may be my little brother, but his attitude toward dial-up computers is that of an old fart truly set in his ways. :lol: (I wonder where he got that from?) But, I sense that he'll be back on soon.

Maybe we'll do it again before long. You all take care...and pray for a good cold snap. Now THAT's when thing begin to get truly interesting around these parts! <><

AJ

congrats Tom! The part about going to take a nap and waiting for AJ the "Moose" to come help was slick too:lol:
Its a fine accomplishment and thank you a bunch for telling us the story:thumbup:
Wayne

n/t

It's funny. We have hunted all our lives, but concerning deer, Tom has always been the deer hunter and being 8 years younger, when grownin' up, he hunted with HIS buddies back then.

Since we have been grown, we have hunted turkeys mercilessly but seldom deer. I can't believe it, but this is the first time that I remember that we were actually hunting deer together and one of us actually took one.

Good to hear from you Wayne. Keep in touch.

aj

Make that three of us Arkie..... Royal. No comments from you :)

Good story Arkie. We just got back in from the moose hunt. No joy yet... but once the snow hits up high, there should be no problem.

Calm seas

Mikie

...I took a big ole' moose the size of my van! Son! But I have a friend that has deep pockets that went on a hunt somewhere in Canada and came back with a MONSTER. His bow barely bridged the moose's rack. That rack must have been 4' inside to inside.

Wishin' you and yours the best on the upcoming hunt.

aj

and being success full , all the better. Doing with bow, better yet. Nice size deer and rack. Its bow hunting season here in CT now also, but still a lot of leaves on the tree's. So far no one I know here as gotten any. Warmer than normal here, low 70's right now, should be in mid 50's. Thanks for taking us along on the hunt. I could almost smell him. Congratulations.

George-CT

...and pray for a great hunt, sos I can write chapter 2.

I'ma prayin' for at least a SEVEN point donchano so I can keep Lil' Brother in his 'place.' :biggrin:

Sounds like our weather is about the same. Tomorrow it will be 50 for a low and 80 for a high. I sure will be glad to see that first frost. Then, it will get serious.

aj

sorta like seeing them too. There are too many deer and they need culling but I just don't have the urge to do it any more. There sure the heck are a lot of turkey around here now days.

Tell Tom that I don't blame him for hating dial up

...I think this year is a year for small deer and next to no turkeys. I have not seen a turkey in the area since the spring. They must have all migrated NORTH! :lol:

However, I plan to rectify that by visiting Robert's 1,200 acres about two weeks from now :biggrin:

He has a lot of game on his property. I hope to get to know it while I'm off that week (the 1st week in November)

aj

n/t

You all scared me for a minute because I was afraid that you would not be able to find the deer in the brush. It appears that Tom was great at skinning the deer. Thank you for sharing the story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

My vacation is in full swing, about to wind down. Still have not connected but have had three encounters with a great buck. I have been (each day since last Saturday) in a tree stand from daylight til dark (11.5 hours each day). I have patience but not a lot of luck!!

I'm keeping notes and will write soon upon my return--on Tuesday.

Hang in there, all.

aj