Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ARIZONA ADVENTURES--series!

Cupajo

Hi Gang,

I just reviewed my past posts to be sure I am not repeating myself.

I didn't realize how many tales I had shared and the wonderful response I had received.

In the early 1960's I lived near Phoenix, Arizona while stationed at Luke Field in the Air Force as a weapons technician.

My great pleasure then was to head out into the outer reaches of civilization with my old 1948, CJ-2 Willys Jeep for an adventure.

On one of these excursions I found myself stranded on a state forest road (odd name for a dirt/gravel road where there was no forest) miles from no where, sitting in the middle of a stream crossing with an engine that had stalled and would not start. Of course this being Arizona, there was only a trace of moisture in the stream bed and ruling out a flash flood I was in no danger.

The small stream, I found out later, was a feeder into the Cherry Creek, a small waterway to the north and (I think) East of Roosevelt Lake.

I checked out the engine and found that the battery mount had become loose and the battery was damaged. I would need another battery to get underway again.

As I sat there I noticed, in the distance, a sound like a diesel engine running and as I was at least 50 miles from civilization, I knew that this was a sign of life that was worth exploring.

I walked a few hundred yards to a sandy lane that looked well traveled and followed it a short distance to a small cottage where I met an elderly gentleman by the name of Ellison. I can

By a copperhead, went to the doctor and got over it fairly quickly....but it hurt like he!!. We also have rattlers and a few cotton mouths........both scare me much more than a copperhead! A Cottonmouth is a very aggresive snake who will bite without any provokation! Also very dangerous! This was a very interesting post! Please tell us more!

nothing colder than a snake's stare! I hunted them to make hatbands to sell at the Calgary Stampede many years back and luckily had no incidents even though i was young and dumb:biggrin:
Any stories you have are welcome cuppa and thank you!:)

Good stories Cuppa. I have never had any dealing with any rattlesnakes [touch wood]. And hopefully, at this late date, never will.

But those are good tales of close encounters

Calm seas

Micheal

A third snake encounter was similar to the second one in that it involved a spring much like the other. The weather and circumstances were nearly the same along with the hard work typical of his out door life.

Mr. Ellison described the spring in detail as well as his very careful approach after his past experience. He still preferred the cool water from the shady part of the pool, but was not about to repeat his past mistake to get it.

He could see that the pool disappeared deeper into the bluff above and was not able to see very far into the heavy shadow.

Half a foot or so back in the cave was a pillar of limestone that reached from below the surface of the water to the ceiling of the cave. It was maybe a foot in diameter and the inviting water wrapped around it with roughly a foot of clearance on each side.

He said,

n/t

Hi Mikie,

I'm glad you are enjoying these tales. I lived in Arizona for 5 years in the early half of the '60,s and being a bit of an adventuresome soul, managed to get into a few experiences worth sharing.

The oil in the large cans would stop spiders, scorpions and ants from cimbing up the 4 poster bed legs.

Hope you enjoy future installments as much,

Cupajo

n/t

guess when you turned around you were the one looking down the ledge.being perched like that makes alot of people want to bail out:crylol:.hey,i think those guys were out of their element,guess they went hunting on a whim.enjoyed your story.

I am in Arizona for nine weeks one summer, I saw sum really pretty country there, I gained really deep respect for the Indians that lived in that part of the country, I know it's hot enough there when you spit it will almost make it to the ground before it is vaporized by the heat. Great story Keep them coming.

to make a little better and safer. For all the ways we have come, I wonder how much was lost along the way? George-CT

that big old snake was probably used to critters sticking their head in his hidey hole for a drink. Hard to keep that in mind when you got a stare down with a rattler. :D

There are good people all over the country and you are dang lucky to find one out there in the desert, or near desert. I have done a little exploring out in the country around Pheonix and that is hard land indeed!!

Thanks for posting. I am a little late getting to these story's but eventually get to most of them. Busy time of the year.

Four inches of snow last night and I am about to go clear it off the drive:thumbup:

can you imagine the story's that the hobo's of the old Hobo Jungles along the tracks could tell?

That feller sounds like an interesting guy. Great trick with the Cans of oil.

You have a wealth of interesting story's and thank you for sharing them