Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are you missing coins?

Ted S

I spent about 4 hours in the field today. Overcast and a cool wind made the windchill 43* I have mentioned we don't have much hunting time left as it is getting cool out. I spent 2 hours in a bean field that was a site of an 1875 school house. I dug an old can out of there and that was it! I went to another field that was supposed to be an old ball diamond. I went into the drive and started hunting with my trusty 600. Soon I got a good signal but it was reading a solid 18. I thought it may have been a shot shell or a green Indian head. I dug down 6" and popped out a metal object that was in the shape of a triangle. I looked at in and could make out 5 cents in trade! Put it in the pouch and found a shot shell and finally a 1941 merc. I may post pics tomorrow as I am tired. I always dig signals in a field that read between 18-21. I was running in Field 2,F2,iron bias 0 and sensitivity 24. My point I am trying to make is that some folk notch out numbers. Use your head and your machine wisely and you will find the good stuff! Ted

Very good point!!
I agree, too much disc at these sites can cause many missed targets.
When detecting around very old house sites in the woods, I still prefer a beep dig detector myself… forces me to dig more and listen to the tone rather than rely on a screen.
I think this is the case when searching many other sites too…. I read about notching out segments close to that of a nickel… big mistake in my book, unless you do not mind missing some.

Some of my better finds have been mid to low tones, maybe even most of my good finds. High toners as I call them don' get invited back to hunt with me! I watched them at the last big hunt I attended where I dug rev war/ war of 1812 buttons right behind them.
HH Jeff

Her's a couple of pics as I said I would do. I will research it a bit. This is near the town where my great grandparents are buried.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 153
Pics are blurry but old tokens really take on meaning when you learn the history of their origin. I have separate plastic dishes for my finds and recently started one for older tokens. Some of those little guys get some good worth too. I did learn there are books written specifically for almost every state listed by city or county and are a good reference for info on era and rarity.

Nice.
You'll find several different variations, and denominations of this shape of triangular trade tokens.
Typically found in aluminum or brass/bronze (like yours).

I almost prefer finding these odd tokens to finding silver....almost. ;)
:)
mike

PS - Even though yours is bronze, here's a side note about aluminum tokens from the mid to late 1800's. They weren't being as cheesy as you'd think.
It took a long time for aluminum to be made in a truly cost effective way. For a long while, it was more expensive than gold.
(U.S. Grant was even given an aluminum medal instead of gold one, once.)