Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are pull tabs valuable? :pulltab:

Dangerous_Dave

Cos I found a spot where there are bloody thousands :surrender:

I was surprised to find my GTP 1350 had arrived yesterday and in no time I was digging holes in the backyard. After it was suggested that my new found enthusiasm was making the place look like an archaeological dig site and I should dig somewhere...anywhere else, I headed to a local lake that gets an enormous amount of holiday campers that set up tents on the sandy beach right down to the waterline. I thought this place would have to have coins and jewellery that had been kicked out of tents or fallen from pockets.

Apparently it seems that most aussies must just drink beer and throw there bottle tops in the sand because that is all I seemed to find. :rage:

I was starting to wonder how you guys could get passed all the ding, grrrr, dong, ding, blip, brrrrrrrrr, ding noises that were constantant barrage on the ears :surrender: I would get a high 7 indication....bottle top, a low 4.....ring pull in fact every thing I dug was either of the 2 no matter where it registered on the screen. Talk about bloody frustrating.

In exasperation, I sat down and read a few posts here late in the arvo and I found this by John-E

"THE PROFILING IS TURNED ON AND OFF BY PUSHING AND RELEASING THE PINPOINT BUTTON. WHEN YOU ARE HUNTING FOR TARGETS, HAVE THE PFOFILING TURNED OFF. WHEN YOU FIND A TARGET, PUSH AND HOLD THE PINPOINT-BUTTON AND START SWINGING THAT COIL OVER THE TARGET EACH SIDE ABOUT 6 INCHES UNTIL YOU GET THE A - B OR C TARGET ID. THEN, HIT THE PINPOINT BUTTON MOMENTARILY TO TURN THE PROFING FEATURE OFF. IF YOU HUNT WITH THE PROFILING FEATURE TURNED ON, YOU WILL GET SUCH A VARIETY OF SIGNALS COMING THROUGH THOSE HEADSETS THAT IT WILL MAKE YOU DANCE.":lol:

Turned it off and walked straight across the road to the school playground, turned the 1350 on and there was.......silence.......then ding...$1 coin followed by dong...10 cent piece, both in under 5 minutes. Wow...now I get it.

I have read and re-read the manual several times and it really only glosses over most points. What are the ideal settings for most situations, ie frequency, sensitivity etc.

This is a great forum...so much helpful info.

Cheers, Dave.

....yea they are valuable because sometimes they turn into gold rings..............:pulltab:

Easy when you know how ain't it. :) Keep your sensitivity at about 6.5 to start with then crank it up later as conditions allow. The 1350 is very sensitive. You should do well. Good luck.

Bill

The main reason that you started digging up coins (10c most particularly) rather than pull tabs, is because you are on school grounds. Soft drinks are not sold there, therefore the ground is mostly free of them. If they drive you to distraction, then you can notch them out, but you will lose 10c coins along with them. (the price of sanity.) Try hunting in coins mode with notches 5 and 5.5 added. This seems to reduce the number of pull tabs that you detect.
Just a word of warning about hunting on school grounds. Although Victorian state laws may vary a bit from NSW laws, if you are caught removing a coin without first obtaining the School Principals permission, then you can be charged with "break enter and steel". I checked into that with a local solicitor 18 months back after reading C4 of the enclosed lands act (NSW), which seemed to indicate that if there was an open gate, then you weren't deemed to be trespassing. Most folks are not aware of it and I have heard of a detectorist being prosecuted for his actions. About 50% of principals will generally give you the all clear if you ask. Strictly speeking, it should be in writting, cause if they forget or get a bee in their bonnet, then you are up the proverbial. I have hunted with both verbal and written permission in the past. I have been approached in the past by a security guard, so it pays to cover yourself.
Mick Evans.

Pull tabs are worth a dime to me. I place one dime into my can for every one I dig ---- Graw

They are worth the same as cans if you were to take them to a metal recycle
place. So yes, if you had them in some serious bulk weight, they are worth a
bit. Whatever the rate of cans are going for..
It will take quite a few to be worth the trouble though. :drinking:
I recycle cans, but I usually leave the tab on the cans on the ones I drink,
and I haven't bothered saving tabs I MD..