Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ARE HARD TIMES HERE??

Cupajo

A friend recently made a comment that times are getting hard for us Americans. This comment from a fellow still game-fully employed, able to pay his bills and keep a roof over the head of his family, and food in the house prompted my reply. I said to him,

We have our acreage, river front, with our gardens and the ability to hunt. {which I do]. With this amount of land, if things got to the ultimate stage, we have enough room to house our children and grandchildren. They may not be able to go to the mall, get cable tv [or any for that fact], or have high speed internet [yet] at their fingertips..... but in the important, real sense of the word, survival is a given and pretty easy.

Fair winds

Micheal

No wants or needs except good health for all of us.... The rest I'm hoping we can handle if need be. We are good for heat, gardening, some game, but I suspect with Connecticut being so populated the game would disappear fast.... I guess barting for fire wood etc would be the next step. Hoep we don't have to find out.

Geo

We are now rural-city folk. We are capable of looking after our family to the basic level, if needs be. Our only concern
is that we do live near a major metropolitan area. Most people I see I know would be lost without a Safeway or Starbucks
within 4 city blocks. These space-taker-upper's would make life very difficult for those of us who have been fortunate enough
to be exposed to farm life or (infact) even paid attention to the basics. It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

My hope is like most of us......media hype more than actual fact. No doubt adjustments are on thier way.

The important thing to remember is.....we are all in this together. How we fair may vary from person to person but it will
have an effect on us all.

It wasn't even an acre in size but it helped to subsidize our diet and it was healthier for us. I wondered even then as I watched the cottagers heading passed my property that would this still be a food source for me if times got hard. There are more people capable of taking food then there are people who can make food.
I expect that my garden would be empty if times got hard and city people came looking for a way to fill their bellies.

Bermuda is a case in point as there is very little arable land on this small island I now call home. Enough farming here to feed around 10,000 people if you factor in fishing but the population is close to 70,000. Needless to say that if the container ships stop bringing food to Bermuda we would face famine and anarchy inside of a few months at most.

Let's hope it doesn't get that bad.

Eric

n/t