Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone with a Tracker IV or that can help or EXPERT :confused::blink::wacko::nerd:

lilmax25

So I have been hunting with my Tracker IV that I just got, I hunted with it last night and found a couple of nails. I hunted with it today and I found 2 old buttons with it looks like clovers on them (if you could tell me what they were that would be helpful, or any information really) Then I found a couple of pennies. (What are wheaties and what are the dates for it to be considered a wheaty and what makes a dime a mercury dime)??

So after all of this I was just wanting to know what setting would you suggest for jewelry, coins, and relics. And if you could please seperate the answers that would just be awesome.

Also, when i dig sometimes i dig a barely audible noise is that bad?? Am i only supposed to dig the good noises or what? How do i know if I am digging up a penny nickel dime or quarter or nail?? Do they make different noises?
I am extremely sorry for all of the questions but I am new to this and would like to know any information. One last question is there a book I can read on Metal Detecting??

Any help even if you don't have a tracker IV would be good.

I love input from anyone :bouncy:

Thanks all!

Hello lilmax25,

I understand your frustrations, been there too. I started with the Tracker IV and still like to use it often. Having just a sensitivity meter and two tones keeps it simple. I practiced by burying a penny,dime,nickel,quarter AND a pull tab at different depths. Start by making a shallow slit of 1" and inserting a penny. Then bury one at about 4". Set the Sens at about 3 o'clock and the Discrim at about 10 o'clock. Use the all metal mode. Swing over each one in an X pattern to pinpoint it and notice the tone and depth reading. Do this with each coin and tab. With practice you will become more confident with the tones you hear. Different areas/ground types mean you will need to adjust the sens and discr settings to eliminate chatter. Coins buried on edge are harder to pinpoint than when they are laying flat. This is where headphones will help a lot. I rarely look at the meter anymore, just go by the tones and dig anything I can target. If you can x-target a barely audible tone dig it too. Never know what you have 'till it hits the light! A pinpointer can help find deep stuff.
Wheat pennies have a wheat wreath on the reverse side, memorial pennies have the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse side. Memorials were minted starting in 1960 I think. Wheats were minted starting about 1919 or so. Mercury silver dimes have a Liberty head with wings on the front that resembles the greek god Mercury. Check them out on e-bay to get familiar.
Put in the time and practice, dig all good signals. With confidence you will start finding the good stuff soon.

HH, twalton

Tracker IV
Pioneer 202

Forget the meter it's a distraction, nothing more. The best setup for coins and jewelery is the sens at 3 to 4 oclock, the toggle on tone disc and set at the lowest possible setting. If a signal is repeatable DIG it. You'll dig up a bit more trash on these settings, but the finds will speak for themselves. For relic hunting set it at sens 3 to 4 oclock, and hunt in the all metal mode! HH regards Nugget.:detecting: