Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone use the 15" coil in the water yet?

lespaul

I have the 15" coil for land and love it. Just wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to use it much in the water. I used the stock coil last year in the water, and there was enough drag on it to cause some shoulder pain after a few hours.
I am aware, of course, that the larger dimensions will cause more drag, I'm just wondering how much?

I have used it in moving tidal salt water, frankly in moving water neither coil is easy to sweep, but the 15" is in my opinion too large for that, there is simply too much drag and will likely break the ears off if you are not careful. When hunting ultra-low tides I will stop the sweep as the water comes over the top then resume after it recedes. Most of the guys in my area are using the larger coil now for wet and dry sand searching but not seeing use under the water.

Good advice HR. Ive already (1200 hours) broken the ears on my standard coil from constant use in the water. Also ..... water hunters have a BAD habit of using the machine as a crutch while digging..... the ears arent that flexible......so somethings going to give. In moving water its a learning process not to fight the water but move with it.

Thank you for your responses.
I will be using it in fresh water.
I have noticed the ears on the 15" coil seem to be of a thicker dimension. Has anyone else noticed this? I dont have a set of calipers or a micrometer to get an exact size.

used it in the water at the beach east coast florida, Requires more attention to coil control, a slower sweep, but no problem really. Weird thing is, I got this little solid dot of a signal, and found a 20", 1.6mm, 2.27 gram 10k chain in the scoop. First chain under 3mm that I ever found without something attached to it. I'm more than a little surprised I found it while using a 15" coil.