Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone use f70 for woods hunting?

petew

I made a deal with a forum member and have a f70 coming, was wondering if anyone tried it in the woods,sometimes depth has changes in those areas.
I was looking at getting a f75ltd, but I just got tired of spending so much on machines.,and I realized I could care less about a few silver coins,I'd rather have jewlery and cool relics.So I'm gonna be new to relic hunting,I never dug unless the se pro numbers were right,and that got old.Its soon to be on its way out also.What do you guys dig for relics,any numbers or just everything?

I used mine everywhere including the woods.
Works great and I have tried a few different ways and settings.
Most of the time I use the big F75 DD coil in the woods but I have used the small sniper and the standard elliptical as well and they all seem to work nicely.
The big DD covers more ground so in areas without much brush in the way that is my coil of choice.
I do most of my woods hunting in the winter...summer is a hassle with tons of vegetation and bugs.

The area I have spent the most time in has been a site that has history going way back to the late 1800's as a recreational site for the Kansas City population.
No tv back then so what did they do...rode horses and this small mountain site had trails all over where people rode horses for fun and also camped out all over this thing.
Now it is set up as a very popular bike trail.

Several problems in this area one being some heavy EMI because the elevation puts it in direct line-of-site of just about every tv, radio and cell tower for miles around.
The other problems were two-fold...iron horseshoes and horseshoe nails and either tin or or aluminium foil.
Both of these types of trash are everywhere and lest you think that foil will break down over time, even over a hundred year span, I am here to tell you it doesn't.

Over several visits I figured out a few ways to deal with all of this stuff and had fun and success just wandering around.
I actually love old woods like these because you never know what you will find.

Early on I used disc but not much.
I left the settings low so I could see and hear the iron as I passed over it and avoided digging most of it but still stopped and dug some of the more unusual numbers in the higher ranges just in case it was something cool like maybe an old pocket knife.
I used 4H tones a lot at that time and I managed to find my first ever silver quarter not long after first using the F70.

Eventually I came back and still used disc but changed the tone settings to one of the 3 lowest available to me 1, 1F or 2F because I read these are bothered less by high EMI problems than all the others.
This is true, by the way, in my experience anyway.
4H wasn't a big hassle to use but in certain areas I got a ton of noise.
Using the lower settings I never experienced any areas with that problem and I did visit many of the same places with those problems on subsequent trips over time.
I finally settles on 1 or 1F most of the time when I wanted to use disc and turn up the disc to the low 20's to avoid seeing or hearing most of the smaller pieces of foil that tended to drive me crazy after coming across so much of it.
I continued to come back and find some cool things in this huge area and one day I changed my settings again to what I eventually used as my common settings and still use today.
That would be all metal with the sense all the way up and the thresh turned up too...a crazy way to hunt any site but I had much practice doing it and it got way easier and very productive for me over time.
I call this the blast through method and it works well at sites with huge amount of iron or trash or both.
I cannot convey exactly what crazy behavior I saw on the screen or the din I heard in my headphones using this technique at first and still do when I use it. However given enough time I eventually started to see patterns in all that mess and by watching the screen I noticed some good numbers, I was looking for the more solid and stable non iron numbers as fleeting as they might be, and started to notice them and watch to see if they repeated and especially by making small movements with the coil from different directions.
Rusty iron can and will throw off some nice high tones and numbers not necessarily right over the object but a few inches away so by turning and scanning you can usually recognize iron this way.
The targets that didn't completely change from 90 degrees got dug and more often than not they were not older rusty iron.
Listening to iron tones is not fatigueing and almost pleasant when set up correctly and that is different than many other types and brands of detectors.

Using this method I see exactly what is going on in the ground under the coil at all times, learned to ignore the false tones and numbers that are sure to pop up using these high power settings and I am able to pick and choose the more desirable targets to dig.
I no longer have the patience, time or energy to dig every blasted signal I come across and even though I could well bee missing some good targets by not doing that my success record is stellar in my mind and completely satisfying...including in the woods at sites with a lot of garbage to avoid.

Sometimes near the end of my hunts I turn the disc up high, use 1 or 1F and look for that one final high tone coin target and that has worked a few times.
It has been said that with the F70 you do not lose any depth as you raise the disc even to max and I tend to believe that after experiencing some remarkable things out there.

The beauty of the F70 is the almost inconceivable amount of settings available to you and if you scan the posts on this forum you can see we F70 guys use some wildly different ones but we all seem to be pretty successful doing it.
I am known as one of the more crazy ones especially when mentioning that blast through method I use but hey...it took me several hours of practice to even start to understand it and it works for me and has done so in many different woods and other sites with extreme trash.

Below are just some of my posts and experiences learning to hunt in the woods with my F70.
Give it time and use my methods or find your own ways...success is almost guaranteed with the F70 and some quality time spent learning it.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2001752,2003440#msg-2003440
Silver quarter

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2014685,2014685#msg-2014685
Early hunt

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2006046,page=1
Lighter

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2122293,2122293#msg-2122293
Jewelry

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2122543,2122543#msg-2122543
Jewelry settings

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2160498,2160498#msg-2160498
Goose band