Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone know Indiana's state laws on metal detecting?

Hi Lilmax, What part of IN are you interested in ?
The State Parks are off limits
You may need to buy a permit to detect in places like The Dunes,
If it is still allowed.
Check with the Park Dept. in your area , they should be able to
give you some info.

Terri

It depends on where you detect. State parks are, as mentioned already, off limits.
Different counties and townships have their own rules about MDing in parks.
If your on private property and you have prmision thats a different matter.

Reservoirs are usually ok but you have to ask or call first to be sure. Hardy Lake Reservoir is of limits
Racoon Lake is also off limits. You just have to go on line and find the place your interested in and call their number.

Where did you plan of detecting?

Some parts of the Dunes are off limits.
RR

Seems to me there are fewer and fewer places available to us for metal detecting, even though this is land that is owned "by the people," not the Legislators. Perhaps we need to form a really HUGE group to protest these restrictions on our access to public lands. This will soon become a non-hobby.

This "solidarity" that you speak, has already been done. It's called the FMDAC. Trouble is, that un-like something like the NRA, there just simply isn't the # of hobbyists in this niche geeky hobby, to rally the kind of financial support, to get lobbyists to do what you're thinking of. So any group like the FMDAC, is limited by finances of how many "battles" they can "fight".

If I were you, just to be safe, I'd only detect my yard. Even then I'd only do it at night, on full moons, wearing a reflective vest of some sort, and a traffic cone for a hat..:rofl:..Or else I guess I'd just go and detect wherever I wanted, and tell anybody that asks that I'm from Ohio, or Illinois, or France and don't speakie English.....if somebody in authority is really upset, and wants to handcuff you, the best thing to do is to wet your pants and start crying and foaming at the mouth, that usually works. no cop wants you in his car, and no city or county wants to pick up your medical bills...try not to appear smarter than the person you are in a confrontation with, especially if they have a badge and gun, try to be invisible, don't carry a digging tool, try to look like a harmless old dope if you can..expect an adventure and enjoy your life and this hobby! one never knows whats gonna happen once a fellow leaves the house!:rofl:
Mud

mudpuppy said:
If I were you, just to be safe, I'd only detect my yard. Even then I'd only do it at night, on full moons, wearing a reflective vest of some sort, and a traffic cone for a hat..:rofl:..Or else I guess I'd just go and detect wherever I wanted, and tell anybody that asks that I'm from Ohio, or Illinois, or France and don't speakie English.....if somebody in authority is really upset, and wants to handcuff you, the best thing to do is to wet your pants and start crying and foaming at the mouth, that usually works.

Mudpuppy, you need help, LOT'S of help. :stretcher: :thumbup:

Yea, you guys are correct.
I've detected at Racoon Lake (Lake Harden) but you can only
do so on the sand. STAY OFF THE GRASS! As for the Dunes
I've heard they are off limits.
Robert2300

Most resievores in northern part of Indiana will close in the end of September. You go to the offices and get a Metal Detecting permit. Some are good for just that day and the one I hunt a lot the permit is good from the end of Sept till sometime in May. Don't go into the state parks, they will own your detector.... KEN