Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone having trouble ID'ing targets with DFX on California saltwater beaches ???

jst4thn

Has anyone had trouble with the DFX ID'ing in Saltwater beaches? I could pass over a quarter at 2" deep and the DFX with the stock 950 coil could not ID it at all accurately. I was using it in preset jewelry/beach mode and coin/jewelry mode. Is the AC sensitivity to high in the preset modes for the salt/blacksand on the beach? I used best data, correlate, and in both single frequencies and it did it in all of them. I know it must be something I didn't do right. Thanks for any help.

Yea..The California beaches are tough. those threads of black sand and salt is what made me buy a Pi unit.
Not all are that way but Santa Monica and beyond Huntington are.
San Diego beaches are much better and friendlier to VLF`s.
I wish I could help you tune your unit but I`m an old analog detectorist.
Good luck out There.

Yea I know what ya mean. I just got rid of my 6000 Pro XL. Never had a bit of problems on any beach with it.

You know, Ive heard that more then once from the 6000 users at the beach.
Never the less you have a first class treasure machine. Maybe add a PI to the collection.

After Taking my DFX to the beach Several times. I have found the following.

I Started In beach/jewelry setting then, Set the Preamp Gain to 3 bump Up AC sens to about 75 , pull the pinpointing trigger ...If it makes false signals while holding it at chest level... immediately press the Up or Down Arrow to return the the last adjusted option.. adjust AC until the number is as high as possible without becoming unstable. This Number is 75 for me on central California Beaches. I like to use Mixed Mode ..or All Metal Mode on the beach. Forget about target ID (NO tone ID..unless you want to go insane) and Take mental note of the VDI number when hunting. Listen for the high tones and watch the signagraph. When Finding A target..if its not a for sure solid signal..like 85vdi quarter... Look for a repeatable trend in the readings tending toward the upper (non ferrous) range.

Mixed mode on the beach is a good thing, just don't dig up anything obviously, mostly Iron like nails. Go slowly especially in the trashy areas.

This Machine takes some practice. The more you learn about it, the more it will pay off.
In my humble opinion.. so far this seems to be an Exemplary Beach tool!

Once again.. Watch the signagraph for metallic objects falling in the Right hand side of the graph. Use mixed mode and adjust to your conditions. If nothing else you will learn a whole bunch about your machine.

If I got something wrong or somebody has a better suggestion or something to add. I'm all ears. :thumbup:

OH yeah... I would use the stock coil 950 and hit the trashy areas last, unless you feel like changing to a smaller coil when it come time for the trash. With a little adjustment the 950 is not to bad at trash separation.

I've been using my DFX on FL beaches, mostly at night, and have never had a problem . I move at a fairly good pace, and use the beach/jewelry mode . It'll find a dime at 7", and below that, it's solid crushed shells. I use the stock coil . I love the DFX.

The West coast has tough wet sand, It effects many top end detectors which may be the reason for weak ID and poor stability with your DFX.

Seriously, Our California wet sand is allot tougher than those back east......Even some Pi's can't operate well here in California's wet sand and surf.

HH, Paul (Ca)

Definitely..not sure about Lake Tahoe beaches, but was there last fall with my MXT and the beach wrecked havoc on my detector..couldnt get a good solid lock on anything...Lake Tahoe is fresh water I assume but the beach areas are notorious on my MXT..but I did find a gold nugget up in the mountain area around Tahoe..so I know it is working fine.

HH to all

That's always been my advice to any salt water beach hunter using the DFX. I use mine on the NJ beaches, and have set up a program where I first use the settings of the Jewelry/Beach ( since it does discrim out the 0 -8 range which I beleive is the salt range). I then TURN OFF TONE ID ! Change it to Mixed mode, adjust the preamp and AC sens...raise the DC sens a few numbers, and then if there is lots of iron, use corrolate.

I may adjust the filters but I think 4 is good for my beach. Sometimes I go to 3 to see if there is any differnce.

Other than that, the only other settings I may adjust are Sweep speed, recovery speed and the hot rock reject.

JC

I spent about 2 hours at Seal Beach ca, I was not expecting to find much as it's off season here. found a hand full of clad in the 2 hours. The main reason was to test the DFX's stock coil on Black sand beach, And to my surprise it did very well.

walk along the surf line with large patches of black sand and I set up several test targets and the DFX nailed them dead on. The DFX and the stock coil Remain stable with a very good threshold thought the 2 hours

out of the 2 hours it only false and got erratic on me one time while in the water knee high in a very large (pure black) black sand patch. but once I left that area it was back to being stable.

I used the Beach/Jewelry preset program with only (4) changes which were (1) Adjusted the Threshold a little higher (2) AC SENS to 69 (3) modulation OFF (4) Pre amp 4

Happy hunting

I have taken many trips with my detectors to the east coast.(I`m west coast LA)
Florida mainly but some of the gulf too.
It`s easy sand for nearly any detector.
I used my tesoro and old bounty hunter there and they were both well behaved.
It`s a toss up which time of year and which beach is best at any given time here in the west.
East coast is much more dependable.

Yes UFO`s are real.
So what..... Its not rocket science or anything.
If you want to believe that the government is covering it up then go ahead.
They are only using it to their advantage...But why would you believe that.,
I say the best thing is to forget about UFO`s and all.
Get out your detector, or go for a ride on your bike and forget about it.
Sorry , fellow aliens...I couldn't resist.