Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone found one of these ??

holey dollar

Hi guys
All the very best to all have a good new year.Found this the other day at an old Convict depot in West Australia, from about 1870.Thought when i first found it i had an old Police guards badge, not to be its a US Patent tag, Top reads use Monkey wrench/or Unkey wrench, US Patent from Ohio, anyone found one any info would be good,

All the Best
Dave/Holey Dollar

[size=medium]Hay Dave,

That is very interesting. You have just proved tha myth about tha Monkey Wrench wrong.

Here is what I mean.

Concerning the origin of its name, this story has been repeated in several publications in
the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries:

That handy tool, the "monkey-wrench", is not so named because it is a handy thing
to monkey with, or for any kindred reason. "Monkey" is not its name at all, but "Moncky.
" Charles Moncky, the inventor of it, sold his patent for $2000, and invested the money
in a house in Williamsburg, Kings County, where he now lives.

In his interesting article upon the genesis of machine design, Mr. W.H. Sargent spoke
of the slide which moves up and down in the handle of a monkey wrench as resembling
a toy monkey, and thereby drew an analogy. To this Mr. H.E. Madden writes: "The wrench
is not named from this, neither is it so called because it is a handy thing to 'monkey' with.
The right name is 'Moncky.' Charles Moncky, the inventor of it, sold his patent for $2,000,
and invested the money in a house in Williamsburg, Kings County, N.Y., where he afterward
lived.

However, this story has been refuted by historians, and there is evidence that screw-adjustable
wrenches and even the term monkey wrench were used long before, at least from about 1840.

You have shown that tha Monkey Wrench was in use in 1870...
12-31-1.jpg

Way to Go Bubba,

Tabdog[/size]

Tab,
Thanks for that, funny before your reply i thought the Monkey Wrench would of been like a crow bar, convicts were used in West Australia from 1860 onwards,you have me thinking what the Patent was for if you needed to open it with a Monkey Wrench. The site I'm looking at is a Granite rock Quarry, solid pieces of Rock cut outs in various places talk about hard work, think only hand tools were used.The convicts came from England, these guys were not your Ave cons, WA in the early days was very short on skilled labor, i think stonemasons were more or less press ganged and sent to WA, the work these guys did is the best stonework you will see.
Found a lot of Centerfire Cartridges about the size of the old 303 round give or take, but they are shotgun shells, a tad weird have you ever found any rounds like that, crimped at the ends of the rounds,

Thanks again
Dave/Holey Dollar

I just think it is tha coolest thing that you have

busted an old long standing myth.

You have physical proof that tha "Monkey

Wrench" was used long before tha myth

states. WAY TO GO Bubba. You Da Man.

I have found those crimped cartreges in .306.

I'm sure they made them in .303, That was

British military round. I do not know if they were

blanks or shot shells. If you have any unshot,

that question could be answered.

Amazing, tha work those guys did.

Thanks for sharing your local history with us.

Hay, I got an old Mucky Wrench out in tha

shed somewhere. I'll try find it when it warms

up just a tad. Then I post a pic on this thread.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

[size=large]I am not an authority. I do not guarantee tha accuracy of this
information.

This is a Arkie Tabdog History lesson.

Tha original "monkey wrench" as far as I can determin is unknown.

Here is a pic of what is thought to be tha original

A-R-K-I-E alojest ?.