Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ANYONE EVER FOUND GOLD WITH SCORPION STINGER

jerry-nebraska

HAS ANYONE EVER FOUND NUGGETS WITH THE GARRETS SCORPION STINGER? SOME PEOPLE SWEAR BY IT BEING ONE OF THE BEST NUGGET SHOOTERS OUT THERE.

It's not that great. The technologly is 25 years old. There are some that use it with limited success.
It is better than nothing.

There are better Gold detectors out there but are more expensive, So if your on a budget get it, it will find Gold, But if you have more cash get one that is newer technology.

Just a note though I heard from Garrett that they are working on a new version of the Scorpion, Not sure when it will be out though.

Alan (Ga)

Jerry,
I've compared the Scorpion with several other detectors that I own, in gold bearing areas.
It lacks the sensitivity that my even my Tesoso Bandido II umax, & White's V/SAT & Tesoro El Dorado detectors have.
You would do better buying a used detector such as these three for under $300.
You could be walking over gold nuggets, which would be your loss.
HH

Ken

Gosh... I have serial #23. I did well with it in the Dale mining district. I used the "zero"
calibrated TR disc mode to check all positive hot rock sounds. However, I agree it is
older technology. The original groundhog (series) date back to about 1978. It is the longest
surviving detector still being manufactured... Use headphones with individual ear volume
control... low threshold for maximum sensitivity and do not use too much "depth"... it has
non mineral TR discrimination, all metal VLF and VLF discrimination and autotune. It is
a manual groundbalance machine which some users have trouble with... and it seems to
be sometimes troubled with outside electrical interference (static electricity?). However,
I will agree that time has passed it by, but in the hands of a skilled detectorist it is still
capable. As I remember it operates at about 15.8 kHz... Just be careful when you open
up the control box to change the three now expensive 9-volt batteries and use the best
batteries available...

Gosh... Alan, I hope they do update it and keep the price within range for
those that would like having a VLF-type with the capabilities that are possible
with the current "Stinger." Unfortunately some users may not be happy with
it because it had a weird way to replace the batteries and the 3- 9-volt are
expensive. It seemed top-heavy, the control box attachment not balanced if
used as a belt/chest mount. And what about the accessory coil availability?

BT, and others... what do you think?

hi my name is troy and i am kinda in the same situation i am looking and comapring all these gold detectors new and used WOW so many promises how deep what feq they have omg it does get confusing here is what i come up with why get one detector then find out its not good enough or deep enough then buy another one just wait save your money and while your saveing money research your locations where your going to go with the thing and if its gold your after then buy the best gold machine out there !? if your going to be a BEAR BE A GRIZZLY!!!!! THATS WHAT I AM DOING !!! i want to have plenty of places to take the thing when i get it so i am not running in circles trying to find a good spot to go and it keeps you bizzy enough so you wont think of the detector you really want deep down inside ,and the money is building up in your stash pile hope this helps! ? hh good luck .troy