Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone care for a "orange" ?

Dan-MO

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon helping a neighbor clean up some downed trees out of his yard that fell during our recent storm. Among the downed trees was a large

we didnt have those kind of trees around here to the best of my knowledge, but like you, all of us younguns had lots of time with our shotguns. I still have the first 20 gauge single shot that I ever owned and it has a glue joint where Daddy glued the stock back on.(I was too short-armed to reach the trigger.) I had it re-blued a few years back, but need a trigger guard for it. I plan on giving it to my oldest grandson soon.

Thanks for another good one.

Lil Brother:)

but it might have been in a Louis L'Amour book or something. I don't remember ever seeing one of them. I might have because it seems I have seen those big green balls hanging on a tree somewhere. Maybe it was when I was stationed in Jacksonville or Memphis or North Carolina. I can not remember.

It is amazing what will trigger a memory. Thanks

Now I have to Google Osage Orangs :D

You have a great story talent. Had a good laugh at the descriptive narration of why your cousins didn't want to play with you and the dishrag was a hoot! Thanks for the smile!

Dave

interesting story by the way.in texas the osage orange is called a "bois d' arc ",it's pronounced "bo dark",i believe that at one time they only grew in areas of texas,southeastern oklahoma,parts of arkansas,and louisiana.

as settlers reached these areas,they took the fruit of the trees and sent the seeds back to where they were from and people planted them as fence rows,and that may be why their referred to as 'hedge apples".we call the fruit horse apples here.

in some towns in texas during the 19th century,you couldn't get a home insured unless it was built on bois d' arc stumps.they sure make a mess in town,i remember when the apples got ripe the would drop on the sidewalks,and at night walking home from town you would step on the gooshy things:biggrin:

i had head or read of them, but i assumed they were very small.
The real point is that anything that was part of the cycle of our lives can be a great memory. Thanks Dan!
Wayne

They know my 'opinion' of zucchs and told me that it will be a present. I have said that they will have to find , or make, a zucch launcher and I will .410 it. Kinda like your 20 guage. :)

sunny skies

M

That's one of the great things about this forum. When you're not sharing a common memory, you're learning about something that is new to the reader. And, it's always told in a way that makes it easy to put yourself where the writer was. You are especially good at it. Thanks for the new info (for me at least) and great story !:clapping:

n/t

n/t

n/t