Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anybody out there been able to do a side by side on the XT50 & XT70

ghzcss

I was wondering if any of you guys has been able to do a side by side comparison on the 50 & 70. I have the 50 and was wanting to know if the 70 would be the best choice for a relic machine as well as coin shooter. Or if there would be a better choice out there.

Thanks, Mike

a few added features. But I'm thinking the depth would be the same since they have the same coil and such. But right now, from the little testing I have doen, I would rank the depth of the XT70 with the depth of the CZ5, CZ3d, Cortes. Now, from what little testing I have done in MY SOIL, the Xterra 70 is NOT close to the depth of the Quattro or the Coinstrike and I highly doubt it's close to the depth of the Explorer with a stock DD coil. Now, I would have to say that the 70 might be close to the Quattro's depth with the 8" concentric coil on the Quattro, which did cut the depth down close to to inches.

I'm sure there are folk who might claim otherwise and if so, I may not be from the SHOW ME state, but I'm afraid they would have to SHOW ME in order to change my mind on that.

Now if I mainly hit parks & schools and such, with an occassional relic hunt a couple of times a year and only wanted to own one machine then the Xterra 70 would serve you well I think. To me so far the XT 70 is a great parks & school machine, but the rest, I can't really say.

Hi,

I thought the XT50 and XT70 were basically the same units, and for coin hunting that is basically true.

But the X-Terra 70 has the Prospecting mode, and I have found it to be substantially more powerful than the Coin discrimination mode. I was hunting some loose pack pea gravel around playground equipment that really is tough to detect in. All detectors I have tried lose depth in this stuff and almost all convert deeper non-ferrous items into ferrous readings. It balances out at 78 on an MXT and 11 on the X-Terra 70 and 3 on the X-Terra 50.

I found that the X-Terra 70 in Prospecting mode easily got VERY STRONG signals on targets that gave absolutely no signal from either the X-Terra 50 or the X-Terra 70 in Coin mode.

I have to do some more work with this, but as a long time nugget hunter familiar with a lot of machines running in all metal mode, I can tell you the X-Terra 70 is a very powerful machine indeed in Prospect mode. The Coin mode is "pretty darn good" for depth and target accuracy. But the Prospecting mode is exceptional for depth and sensitivity.

The downside is the Prospecting mode is an all metal mode. It has an iron mask function, but all I can tell you is that even set at max it will not disc out paper clips at all in the pea gravel. The very same paper clips easily were masked out after digging in air tests. So the pea gravel was for some reason rendering the Iron ask ineffective. So I pretty much had to dig it all. But for hitting the pea gravel this is acceptable and the results I saw were so dramatically different between Coin and Prospect mode I went with Prospect mode. It would be the way to go for all easy digging areas, and very possibly for relic hunting.

If you just into coin hunting the X-Terra 50 packs the bang for the buck. But if you have situations where using an all metal mode would be acceptable, the X-Terra 70 is worth the extra bucks for sure in my opinion.

Steve Herschbach
Alaska Mining & Diving Supply

Thanks Steve,

I am pretty much 90% coin shooter here. Not much gold in these here parts. I never run in all metal. There is much, much more trash in the ground here than treasure. So, the ratio would be unacceptable to dig every signal.
So, I think I will stick with my 50 and get the HF coil for it. I do on occasion do a little beach hunting. So, maybe the HF coil would help me on the gold.

Thanks, Mike

I wish I could use a detector for a couple hours or even days and really know how to compare them with other models, even with ones that I have not used. I must admit I am not that effecient I guess. Even though I do use one for that short of time and decide to get rid of it. Guess that goes to show everyone operates differently.. I think the x-terra 70 is great, but did not try the prospecting mode. Sounds like it could be interesting. Well, they do have more for sale I guess..HA....I was going to try the prizm v.but now have recondidered..Have never tried a quattro yet, or an explorer II....HH.. everyone have fun at Daytona this year..Sonny

I have tried each out in my yard and test garden. If you are searching for coins (coin/descrim mode) and you feel comfortable that the X50 is GB correctly, the depth is probably the same. With the soil I have and at the beach (salt water) I am more comfortable with the X70. I feel certain it is GB in all situations I have tried.

I to am pretty much 90% coin shooter here.BUT,,,,,I for reasons,,,,Like you.......made a different choice..
You are keeping your xt-50,and are thinking of buying the 19khz coil for Coinshooting ???
I purchased ,and Friday ,,just received the xt-70.. Mainly for Coinshooting,and got a 3 khz coil for free.....I purposely was looking for a deal like this..with the 3 khz coil instead of the 19 khz.....For these reasons.......
(1) I was under the impresion that a 19 khz coil might drive a coinshooter nuts in an area with lots of trash,,,excpecially the aluminum cans that get shreaded by lawnmowers..
(2) I was also under the impresion that a 3 khz coil would be better in high mineralized ground,better where there are powerlines/electrical interferance....And mostly because I have heard that it (low 3 khz coils )are a great coils for deep silver....
Please -----Someone else confirm or deny these beliefs...Thanks--
(3) Auto G.B.,and Tracking.....the 50,or doesn't have these ? I thought these would come in handy..
(4) Target ID Stability on the 70 only ? I thought this would come in handy as well....
(5)Prospector mode......Don't know if I will use it,but I MAY..
(6) The choice of the 7.5,3..and 19 khz coils....I do not yet have the 19 khz coil,but if I decide to Cival War Hunt,or Prospect,,,,I am sure I will Buy it,,,,,and any other optional smaller coils that may become available in 3-7.5,and 19 k.....in a SMALLER SIZE...
JUST MORE OPTIONS IN GENERAL.....
I do not have more than an hours time with it.....(Started Raining hard).....But I do like it so far..:laugh:......Happy Hunting To you...

All three have a stock 9-inch concentric 7.5 kHz coil, and all three are lightweight, well balanced detectors. But, they also have several differences that allow the user to setup their detector to suit their hunting preferences. Having used them for several months now, I have found features or settings that I prefer when I am coinhunting.

To be honest, I like the three tone audio of the X-30 better than the four tone on the X-50. The X-70 offers me the option of chosing one tone, two tone, three tone, four tone or 99 tone configurations. Even with all those choices, I seem to set my X-70 with three tones, just like the X-30. Having dimes and quarters provide the same response just makes sense to me when coinshooting. If I get that high tone and want to see what it is before I dig, I simply look at the display.

GB: the X-30 is factory preset and (depending on your mineralization levels) may not allow you to maximize your detecting potential at given sites. The X-50 offers manual ground balance. The X-70 offers manual ground balance, automatic ground balance, tracking mode and beach capabilities. Whereas the X-30 has a fixed GB, the X-50 can be adjusted from one to twenty, in single increments. The X-70 can be adjusted from one to 90, in single increments. The more possible settings for GB, the higher degree of accuracy you will achieve for ground balancing the site you are hunting. Depending on the level of mineralization, and the fluctuation of that level, will determine whether you will benefit from the additional GB features of the X-50 or X-70. Although my soil here is considered to be moderately mineralized, I have made comparisons of the three detectors at random locations and have found that the fixed setting is not optimum for some sites. I have no problem manually balancing my X-50. Lower the sensitivity, set the GB, and raise the sensitivity to a point that is just below "unstable". With the X-70, I press auto, and then check it (fine tune) with the manual adjustment pads.

Sensitivity: All three detectors offer adjustable sensitivity settings. Although I have not read anything definitive on how each level is segmented, I believe that all three offer a minimum and maximum level comparable to each other. The difference to me is in the settings within that level, on each machine. For example, the X-30 offers ten setting possibilities, in increments from one to ten. The X-50 offers twenty setting possibilities, in increments of one to twenty. The X-70 offers thirty setting possibilities, in increments of one to thirty. Again, this does not mean the X-50 is twice as sensitive as the X-30. Nor is the X-70 three times as sensitive as the X-30. To me, it just means that I am able to fine tune the sensitivity of the X-50 and the X-70 to higher degrees of accuracy than the X-30. Frankly, I find that I can run all three models very near max sensitivity.

Threshold tone: I like to coin hunt with a slight threshold tone. The X-70 is the only X-Terra that offers an adjustable threshold.

Target ID: All three models offer notch discrimination, and the LCD provides basic numeric target ID. The difference between the three models is the amount of "refinement" in those notches. The X-30 provides 12 notches, with four digit separation. The X-50 provides 18 notches, with 3 digit separation. The X-70 provides 28 notches, with 2 digit separation. I have read several post concerning numbers of the X-70 "jumping around" more than the X-50 or X-30. To me, this is to be expected, as there are fewer targets identified in a two digit notch segment as there are in a 3 or 4 digit segment. If you look at the chart I have attached to this post, you will see that coins are generally indicated by the same numbers in each machine.

Prospecting mode: (Iron mask discrimination) Only available on the X-70. Although I do not live in a part of the Country that has gold, I have found the Prospecting mode to benefit me in target sizing and pinpointing. As Steve indicated, it is a very powerful hunting mode. Unfortunately, the target ID does not function when in Prospecting mode.

Coil compatiblity: The X-30 will accept the 7.5 kHz coil(s). The X-50 will accomodate either the 7.5 kHz or the 18.75 kHz coil(s). The X-70 will accomodate the 7.5 kHz, the 18.75 kHz or the 3 kHz coil(s). Although the 9-inch concentric is the only size currently available, the manuals clearly indicate additional coils are to become available.

Patterns: The X-30 can hunt in all-metal or one Pattern mode. The X-50 allows an additional Pattern mode, along with all-metal mode. The X-70 offers 3 Pattern modes and all-metal. Recognizing the ease at which Patterns can be modified "on the fly", and the fact that you can only hunt in one mode at a time, having multiple Pattern modes is not a big deal to me.

Although the X-70 offers many more features than the X-30 or the X-50, it is up to you as to whether you will benefit from them. If you need something more than a fixed GB, then go with the X-50 or X-70. If you like to "fine tune" your sensitivity to a higher degree than 20 predetermined settings, then you need to consider the X-70. If you want auto-GB, tracking or beach settings for GB, then the X-70 is the only one that offers those. You can accomplish very similar results with the X-50, but the X-70 can do it automatically, or with very minimal effort. If you like multiple tones as with the FBS or BBS detectors, the X-70 offers 99 tone hunting.

As for differences in actual detecting, depth, sensitivity, separation etc..... I can't see a lot of difference IF you have your detector set up properly for that particular site. As I said, my soil here is moderately mineralized. I haven't found much difference in the three coil frequencies, other than the 3 kHz don't do well on nickels! And, the 18.75 skews the numeric ID of targets with a non-ferrous reading of less than 18. (compared to the 7.5 kHz coil)

As to depth, I have found areas that the fixed GB setting on my X-30 is not quite where I would like it to be. I have not had a problem getting 8 inches on a buried quarter with any model. But I believe that manual (or auto) GB would allow me to gain more depth of detection. The 9-inch coil does not indicate a difference in separation between the three detectors. Depending on the release schedule of future coils, I would buy the detector that allows for the smaller coil or the DD coil top be introduced first, depending on whether I was interested in separation of had highly mineralized ground. Unfortunatley, we don't know what that schedule will be for any future coils. If Minelab decides to introduce a smaller coil at 18.75 kHz as the first small coil for the X-Terra, I would be glad I had an X-50 or X-70, since the X-30 can't use it. If, however, they introduce coils of all sizes, both concentric and DD, in all three frequencies, everyone will be happy!

So, which one would I chose? Any of them!! But if I had to make a choice, I would take the one that allows me to hunt with the features I have become use to. I like threshold tone and I feel that I can improve my depth of detection and stability with a manually adjustable GB. Allowing myself the option to have any coil that comes out would be another plus! But like I said, they can all hunt!

HH Randy

now that was a great post, especially from someone that has used all three for a period of time. Great post Randy....

To me, the extra features of the X-70 make it the better choice of the two. The X-50 is not a shabby unit but atleast in my soil, running it with ANY of the disc segments blocked out just kills the depth of the unit. The X-70 is the same exact way when running in the pattern modes. It's just my personal opinion...but NO WAY would I use a disc pattern with any segments blocked out if I were going for older or deeper coins. On either unit. To me, that is just something you are going to want to use in a trashy modern park where you are clad coin shooting or jewelry hunting. Nothing else.

If you are after relics, then you are gonna have to use both of them in all metal in order to dig anything deep...still talking about the regular modes here. They have a tendency to plop goodies down into the iron range at deeper depths...even in all metal.

Where the X-70 blows the X-50 away, is in its prospecting mode. Don't let that mode scare you away thinking it's just for nugget shooting. It's similar to running an Explorer in iron disc...can be used for coins and relics. It is THE mode I go to when I'm relic hunting. You are looking at a very significant increase in depth when going into that mode. My ground balances out in the 50s on the X-70. Usually somewhere around 53 or 54. Using Prospecting mode alone, I can get several more inches out of the unit over the Coin/Jewelry mode just for some odd reason in Coin/Jewelry mode it is throwing goodies into the -8 iron reading and in prospecting mode, it is still reading the goodies as non iron diggable targets and not nulling on them like it does the iron when in iron disc. To me, that feature alone makes the X-70 the better machine. That in addition to DEADLY accurate auto tracking gives it the TKO over alot of machines.

The CoinStrike is another good machine that Mike mentioned below. If you are running the X-Terras in disc pattern modes, the C$ is going to kill them in depth...and yes, even in bad ground. I'd have to have a C$ here to check it but I'm about 95% certain that with the X-70 in prospecting mode, the C$ and it would be a tough battle for which is the better machine. I'd give the edge to the X-70 just for the weight and balance factor. BUT...the C$ clearly would have the upper hand when it came to still being able to ID at that depth. With the X-70 in prospecting mode, you are stuck with an audio only machine. You can press the mode button and get it back into ID mode, but if its deep it is going to tell you it's -8 or -6.

So in my humble opinion...the X-70 is the better one between the X-50 and X-70. BUT only when used in prospecting mode; in which you are using the unit as a audio only machine. Other wise, they will get about the same depth in the regular mode.

Many if not all detectors of this nature have an internal adjustment to change that, like the Fisher 1200 Series. Can this be done by an individual, or at the support level on the X-30?

The preset GB (similar to a '6' on the X-Terra 50) is developed into the software. There's nothing you can do inside to change it.

Monte

Hi Randy:

I have to tell you this was one of the most informative and useful posts I have read during my month of research on a new MD.

Thank you.

I appreciate hearing that! HH Randy