Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anybody care to share some dump digging tips?

dirtykneesrus

I found an old dump and need some tips for digging it. I have never dug one before.

[attachment 31225 post1.jpg]

Just scrathed the surface.

[attachment 31226 post2.jpg]

Hope there is something unbroken in there.

[attachment 31227 post3.jpg]

Thanks.

your photos show a gold mine by the look of it! If it was me, rake away the leaves, sticks twigs and any other debris. Carefully pick clean all the broken glass with gloves on, and use a hand rake to loosen the soil. If you use a pick, you;ll end up breaking bottles, also, use a shovel around the perimeter of the hiole, and remove the dirt from the edges. Some bottles may fall through, giving you an idea of how they're placed in the soil. But all the time, work slowly and carefully, because if the bottles are intact and in very close proximity to each other, or overlaying each other, use a small hand pick to carefully scrap the soil away in between the glass. I found two dumps where as I'd pull one bottle out, another was directly under, or to the side of it. Just working slowly and carefully, especially with gloves on so you don't cut yourself.
All the best with it.
Angela

Good advice from Angela. Make sure you dig right to the bottom. I've dug plenty of bottles from dumps that have already been dug by others who couldn't be bothered to go right down. Usually the deeper you go the older it gets........HH....Ken.

Yes, it's probably what they call false bottoms. You dig down, retreive the bottles, but keep digging to the next level. Some bottle dumps are like that.

HI . Found a site almost the same . I dug down a bout 2 feet.Lots of broken ones too bad too some were real keepers.But those sites can be real sweet.You just never know till you dig .Be carefull that glass cuts really fast.Wear good knee pads or hokey shin pads. Looks funny but great protection from glass pieces.Use a trowel to loosen bottles.It woks for me good luck :wave: JIM in canada :canadaflag: