Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any of you remember string puppets as a kid?

George-CT

For whatever reason they have been on my mind the last few days. I kept thinking about how much I enjoyed them and would go to the school gym on Saturdays for the puppet shows for a free or a nickel. I took and interest in them and a fella a little older than me across the street taught me to use them. His name was Tiny Thompson. Thats all I knew him as. Well today, I was searching for and old school teacher I had, who was Rufus Roses son. They lived close to me in Waterford, Connecticut. In the google search I found a webpage done by Fred Thompson. Could this be the Tiny Thompson I remember? I sat down and wrote him an email mentioning all the things that more than likely he would remember. Even his father who was the Firehouse Chief at the time and the Stitty's Star Dairy store across of whom I married their daughter Jane, who I'm still married to. I hope its him as I have much to talk about with him. It was a big part of my youth that I seldom talk about. I know you guys have heard me say, I don't talk on the phone because of a stutter. In person its not bad, but phones, forget it. Long story.. I had it then also yet he never brought it up or indicated it to be a problem for him. I never forgot that. He made me very relaxed. Enough that I did small puppet shows of my own for the younger kids in the neighbor hood. We are talking late 40's and early 50's here.

Rufus and his wife Margo when on to become famous. Google Rufus Rose for more on them. But they also did the Howdy Dodty program along with Buffalo Bob... Even stranger, later while I was in high school, their son, was my English teacher in my last year of high school. He and I became friends out of school also and went scuba diving quite often. I often wonder what became of him and am hoping Tiny can fill me in. This was a chance google crossing for me yet I had been thinking about all of it for 2 days...

Ever have anything happen like this to you?

Geo-CT

It amazing when you think back to elementary school days... wonder what happened to this kid,or that girl.. Interesting thoughts there George!

n/t

n/t

because I could not get the dang thing to work right. All those dang strings and stuff!! I also Remember Flubadub and There was some dang puppet named Phinias T Pitch, if I remember right. I never missed Howdy,

I wish you did not have a hangup on that stuttering. I talked to you over the messenger once and honestly never noticed it a bit. You don't stutter much. Hummmmm? Mebby I didn't let you talk:buds: It is possible I guess. We had a long and good talk I thought. I always watch to see if you are on so we can chat but you just are never signed on. :shrug: Crap! I babble more than you stutter. It sure didn't interfer with our communication at all, as I remember.

Those string puppets were a fine part of my childhood along with the old Punch an Judy shows!! Lots of mahem in those shows!!