Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any multimedia training for the GT?

dcr

OK, I've read countless posts and tips, read and re-read Clive's book, and have dinked around with my new GT for a bit, but I'm still in the dark. What is it supposed to sound like while I'm searching? What does this or that really sound like? What should threshold sound like? What's a good swing speed look like? Questions, questions, questions, and the answers don't lend themselves well to the written word.

Is there a video that anyone has produced for the GT? Even an audio tour would be better than nothing. For those of us who lack a dealer within driving distance, it is extremely frustrating. A video could help so much!
If it hasn't been done, is anyone up to the task?

Someone on another forum gave me this site. If you go through it there is a part that will play the sounds of dimes, quarters, nickles, trash, etc. I just got one and am trying to learn it too. Hope this helps.

http://www.geocities.com/sovereignmods/index.html

I've run across this link a number of times in the forums. It is interesting, but very difficult for an "untrained" ear to pick up and remember the different sounds. I'm sure that it comes with time, or at least that's what I've been told.

There are several Minelab machines that have been featured in tutorial videos, but nothing for the GT. Considering how much potential this machine has, I can't believe that Minelab didn't produce a video. For that matter, why hasn't at least one of the very experienced people here produced a video tutorial? I think someone would sell a lot of them. I'd buy one!

n/t

There is a video on the Sovereigns themselves, but not the GT that I know of. The basic are the same with all Sovereigns and the GT has added the silent search option and the tracking when you use all metal. Now in all metal the meter don't give ID numbers like the disc does.I am a coin and relic hunter and never hunt in all metal as I find I get better depth in disc and can hear the signals so much better plus have the audio ID along with the visual of the meter.I use all metal for pinpointing only.
Now to learn this detector it takes some patience and also some time for many, but once you do learn it you will see why so many swear by the Sovereigns.
Now tone wise the copper pennies, the clad and the silver all has the same tone to it while the new zinc pennies and the IH will have a little lower tone to them and hard to tell tones, so this is where a meter will give you a visual of what you are hearing. The nickles once you have learned the tones they will be easy to tell. The main thing with this detector is the tones ID with the visual of the meter to tell the coins from the trash.
Now with the Sovereigns it will null on anything that is disc out and will null on iron, but some will give you a little signal, but you wont be able to pinpoint it in the same area as the signal is, or be a one way signal. When it goes over a target the threshold will change to the tone of that target, but not as loud as the target so you will be hearing many different tones plus the nulling of iron which most will hear more than anything else. With iron it will null and come back with a very low growl sound tone. If when swinging the coil and it is a solid null you know you have the sensitivity too high or going too fast as the Sovereigns you have to go slower with then most other detectors.
To start with with the GT I recommend the disc set to 0 or maybe to the 10 o'clock position as you want to hear most everything to help learn the tones. The sensitivity all the way counter clockwise until it clicks as this will be auto and give you a smoother threshold to help learn it. The notch too is set all the way counter clockwise for now until you get to know this detector a little more. I run my disc toggle at iron mask on so I can hear coins close to trash. I will have my threshold toggle set to a threshold so I can hear the threshold come and go so I can tell if I am going too fast or if I went over a weak good target as the tone will change. The lock/track/ pinpoint I leave in pinpoint as this is only active when in all metal, so when I go to pinpoint I just have to switch the disc/all metal toggle to all metal and it will be in the pinpoint mode.
Now what i would do is get a quarter, a new zinc penny made from 1983 to present and a nickle and some pull tabs and other trash items and swing each across the coil and see what they will sound like. This way you will know what each good coin target will sound like against trash item. If you have a meter you will see the difference in the numbers with the different tones, just try to get the tone as high as you can just by going over just that target back and forth maybe only a inch or 2.

It is really not that hard of a detector to use, but does takes some time and patience. There is many more tips too on the deeper ones and some of the trash items, but first thing is getting to know the tones and the basic of the GT.

Rick