Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any Minelab Explorer users who switched to the Equinox 800 who can give me their opinion on the switch ?

Ed...I have not owned the Equinox long enough to be of much help. I never did master the Explorer SE but made some good finds with it. I have also made some good finds with the Equinox. I have a 600. I do like the fact that the Equinox is very light as I am older and have some major health issues. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I had an Explorer XS , after switching to the Equinox 800....never looking back very happy with this machine.

Thanks Ted. I'm looking for something lighter also. After about 3 hours of hunting with my Explorer SE, I'm just about crippled with back pain. Getting older is no fun !

Love the XP Deus for most hunts, until it comes to Beach hunting in wet sand or salt water then the Equinox is far superior. The 600 or 800 are great machines for this application.

Not directly Ed, I have moved up with the new machines since my first explorer which was a big change from my 6000 wow. Looking back I have no regrets.
Jeff

come-on guys, this is your Golden Years, I am 67, have a broken back, metal plate in my neck with 6 bolts in it. Hearing aids in my ears and still can,t her shit. The Dr. said these are our golden years. I keep going as much as I can, I tell the guys that I hunt with if they see me laying on the ground, just go on I will be there sooner or later.

Flint stone, do you use any special headphones due to hearing loss?
I have hearing loss in both ears and have hearing aids.
Tony in NJ

Ed, I couldn’t wait for this detector to arrive. I have been using Exp II for ten years and love it but I no longer could hear the deep silver tone

I still have it but really enjoy using the NOX.

I used an SE for years and had 2 IIs. No comparison. I am 68 (for 13 more days) and can still swing an 800 with the 15 inch coil for a couple hours, but I feel it later. Just got a lighter cf shaft with counter weight and it helps! I haven't done a long hunt with the 15 yet.

Hi Tony, I always have headphones wit volume control and run them full blast. I still don't here some weak signals. I use Pro-Stars now, they have a lifetime warranty. I have had to send them back for a broken head ban.They sent me a mew set. They are about the best I have found for me. What ever you get be sure the have volume control.

Those two machines (Deus and Nox) kinda compliment one another. So much so that I had to have both.

As far as the original question. I think a lot of it depends on your soil. In some areas, the Explorers and eTrac will be deeper than the Nox on deeper coins, as far as being able to ID them. I think the Nox is overall deeper but has a more jumpy ID that some don't like. However, in some areas, the Explorer and eTrac are crippled by bad soil and can only achieve 5 to 6 inches in depth. It is in ground like this, that I think the Nox prevails and can push down into the 8 to 10 inch range. You will appreciate the lighter weight for sure....although with the bigger coil it is nose heavy. I fixed this via a counter weight system from my archery shooting days. I put stabilizer weights onto the rod behind my arm cuff. Now, the 15 inch coil with the weights, feel like my 11 inch coil, stock setup. And the 11 inch coil with weight is neutral.

Daniel Tn said:
Those two machines (Deus and Nox) kinda compliment one another. So much so that I had to have both.

As far as the original question. I think a lot of it depends on your soil. In some areas, the Explorers and eTrac will be deeper than the Nox on deeper coins, as far as being able to ID them. I think the Nox is overall deeper but has a more jumpy ID that some don't like. However, in some areas, the Explorer and eTrac are crippled by bad soil and can only achieve 5 to 6 inches in depth. It is in ground like this, that I think the Nox prevails and can push down into the 8 to 10 inch range. You will appreciate the lighter weight for sure....although with the bigger coil it is nose heavy. I fixed this via a counter weight system from my archery shooting days. I put stabilizer weights onto the rod behind my arm cuff. Now, the 15 inch coil with the weights, feel like my 11 inch coil, stock setup. And the 11 inch coil with weight is neutral.
Well said I own the same perfect together!

Daniel Tn said:

Hi Daniel, can you post a picture of your counter weight modification?

Tom,

With Steve's CF setup, you should be able to hunt at least twice as long. I went from my usual 3 to over 5 and only stopped because it got dark. LOL I'm 66 with 4 pins in left shoulder (2014 rotator cuff tear), 2 pins in right should (2016 rotator cuff and bicep tear) and outside and inside meniscus tears repaired in 2019. BTW, that is with the 15x12 coil too.

Joe

Ed (Upstate NY) said:
I'm trying to decide between the XP Deus and the Equinox. Both are much lighter and seem to have great reviews.

If the price is not a consideration the XP is the better choice.
A bit harder to learn but you have all those adjustments to use if needed.
Also I feel the XP is a more sensitive (deeper) detector.