Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any Computer Folks Here?

5900_XL-1

I killed my laptop by water damage. It is definitely dead.

I'm considering buying another used one, same model, and want to know by you experts if I can simply put the hard drive from my dead unit into a used but working laptop of the same model. The HDD from the wet lappy will read when installed into a docking station, so it works.

My goal is to get back to having a machine with all of my files and utilities, and I'm finding some listed on Ebay as working, for around $60 but it has no OS. If my drive which I have mow from the dead lappy, all I need to know is if the new, used unit would simply take the old drive and simply work.

Y'all think the laptop mainframe would take the drive I have now and spin up and run? Does the bios care?

Thanks in advance.

If it's the exact same model and the drive is good it should go right in and boot up.

That's what I'm hoping for. Another poster from another site said it would need the original OS install disk which came with the laptop years ago, because the serial# of the CPU would show up as different. I seriously doubt that the Dell install disk can be found after all these years, so I'm crossing my fingers that you are entirely correct.

Anyways, I'll find out in a week or so, depending on USPS, which BTW is on holiday today. Before out govt even thinks about stopping social security, they should eliminate these useless USPS holidays! I wish I had even half the paid holidays when I was in the work sector!

Never fails that when I REALLY need something, there's a holiday :-(

Good news! My used laptop from ebay came today, and the quick replacement of the old original hard drive, spun right up. EXACTLY what I wanted, worth all of the $60 IMO!

I didn't know ahead of time, but I got extra memory and a machine which looks pristene in appearance.

Y'all were a great support, thanks!