Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any 1 found Gold Nuggets with the GT

madmax800

Hi All,
I am just wondering how the GT would go in the gold fields. Would it be any good. I am not sure what would be the best settings, I would guess at all metal.
Can you share your thoughts and any facts on this matter.
I am asking because I'm going to that part of the country where gold has been found
Thanks

I have heard talk of people using it to prospect , but its something I really dont feel it is well suited for ......just my opinion

I agree with Adam ...

The Sov isn't a good gold hunter, but gold rings are no problem. I have had no problem finding them on the beach with my Elite. But small gold and chain signals are very faint and difficult to hear. I believe it's because the upper frequency on the Sovereign isn't high enough. Better to use a detector designed for finding nuggets, like a Fisher Goldbug, which has a frequency around 75 kHz. Just mho.
Good Luck and happy hunting in 2007!

fod:)

Greetings,

If you are looking for tiny flakes of gold in the 2 grain or less size then the Sovereign GT is not going to do the job. However, gold nuggets larger than 5 grains (1/3 gram) are detectable at reasonable depths. If you will check out the X-Terra forum and the post "Nugget hunting with the X-Terra 70" you will see a picture of a 1/2 gram nugget that I found with my X-Terra 70 operating with the elliptical 5X10 18.75khz coil. It was found at about 3 1/2" down in a crack in bed rock. Since I also own a Sovereign GT, I know that it would also have found this nugget. I also own a Gold Bug II that operates at 71 khz and YES it will find tiny sub grain flakes of gold that the Sovereign GT will not find. So far, in my limited electronic prospecting, I have found 5 nuggets. Two of them are really more like flakes. They weighed .9 grains and 1.2 grains. The other three you could say are really nuggets, one at 1/3 gram, one a little over 1/2 gram and one almost a gram. Based on my experience with my Sovereign GT, these last three would have also been located with the Sovereign GT. While it is not the hotest gold detector, I would not count it out any more than I would the X-Terra 70 or a White MXT and it handles the bad ground better than most. Especially if you use the smaller 800 DD coil.

I hope this has been some help, God Bless.

Smitty II

Hi Smitty 11,well went out to the gold fields, just got home an hour ago. its a 5 hour trip to get there in 105 degree heat.
My mate has a Xterra 70 with the same coil as the 1 you mentioned and i got the GT.
We searched and search but had no luck.Just found lots of old stuff like bullets, nails, tacks, and shoe protectors etc.
We will get back there 1 day but never again in the middle of summer, just 2 damm hot camping in tents and plenty of Aussie flies and dust and snakes etc.

Thanks for your reply

Its interesting that you are gold hunting in summer downunder and we are just into the best hunting time of the year in NW Florida. Cool and less bad bugs and snakes out. :cool: HH Don

I found this nugget on a Florida beach with my Excalibur with 8 inch coil. It was not very deep. Florida is not known for natural gold so this may have come from a Spanish galleon wreck.[attachment 44951 nugget3.jpg]

Hey I'm not too familiar with the GT, but this site has so much helpful informaion on hunting gold in California if you're interested!

Micaleen
<b><font size="3"><i>gold
nuggets
</i></font></b>