Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Antique Aluminum Wedding Band?

BilljustBill

Today, I found a what appears to be an antique wedding band. The tone and cursor reflected "Foil" levels. It came out of the ground shiney. Most thin round items that are Aluminum have always shown high up and with a high pitch tone....

I had heard that back in 1800's, that Aluminum was a rare metal and was considered a precious metal like Gold and Platinum.

Do you know anything about Aluminum Wedding Bands?

Thanks for the help,
Bill

as it's very hard to tell them apart because Titanium is also lightweight ... hitting low and sounding like foil is what makes me believe it's Titanium. Have dug 2 Titanium rings over the years and they hit low like a nickel but a little further to the bottom right side.
I've only seen 1 aluminum band on display and it was fairly thick, wide and covered with engraving and definitely the real deal.

Either way, if you're sure it's a band then you've made a nice find. :clapping:

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Would the Titanium have that 'yellowish' sheen I've seen with aircraft bolts? This ring is a silver or white gold look; no yellowish tint at all.

It has two names engraved inside the band. It appears the letters are made of tiny holes and not a stamp or straight line engraving.

Thanks again,
Bill

Aircraft bolts have been coated with cadmium and chromium just like the old rivets were done many years back to prevent oxidation when several different metals are used together and then painted as one .... if that makes sense :)
When the aircraft parts are sandblasted for refurbishing the dust from those rivets and bolts become hazardous waste from those chemically coated compounds.
I've removed TONS of the stuff from Military bases all over the Southeast.
Your band sounds legit to me, nice find Bill.

Good hunting
Mike