Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another one of those Dumb things not to do.

LuckLarry

Of all of mans creations, the rock tumbler has got to be one of the simplest, right? One might think, "now here is a device so simple no one could mess it up, right? Well a week and a half ago I drove the considerable round trip distance of 102 miles to reach civilization and I picked up a dual 3lb. barrel rock tumbler at Harbor Freight. In pictures this thing looks like a clone of the 90.00 some dollar LORTONE Dual Barrel Tumbler, for just $35.00. Well I can tell you it sure is not the same machine. The belt broke on the first unit after 2 days. So I saddled my Bronco (Ford not horse flesh) and sidled on back to town to get a new belt. With out a word, they handed me a whole new tumbler. By this time I had read a post that said it is best to just tumble one barrel at a time and that some had extended their belt life that way. So I loaded up a single barrel with coin and aquarium gravel and away we went again. The belt was broken by morning. I had also read on the Internet that ACE Hardware sells an 4"X1/8" O-ring that makes a dandy belt. So of we went to town to buy it the next day. Now this did last longer I ran it 3 days and it was starting to split but hanging in there. Unfortunately by this time the machine was rattling and squealing so loud no one could stand it. You guessed it. Back to town again. This time we just gave it back for a full refund.

OK let's do the math. We were down to tumbling with just one barrel at a time, so we might as well of bought a single barrel LORTONE machine. Could have gotten one for as low as 56.00 buck on the Internet. So, 4 Trips X 104 miles = 416 miles. At 10 miles to the gallon. $108.16 in fuel. More than a week of frustration. Parts bought (the Belt about 3 bucks). Resulting in less than 3.00 worth of change still not being clean.

We had read on the Internet that as of 2005 these problems had been worked out on the Harbor Freight machines. I must have got last years stock :)

Tonight we poured the crushed walnut shells out of our Dillon CV-500 Vibratory Tumbler. And put our aquarium gravel in it. We tossed in our coins and that thing is tumbling them like crazy. Even before I put in any water it was a real nice tumbling action. I put in a little water and it quieted down a lot. I then put two drops of Joy detergent in it and put the lid on. I was going to buy a LORTONE tumbler today at a large jewelry supply house, and Jewelry manufacturing shop as well. But when I talked to them they all agreed to a man and woman that I should just use my Vibratory tumbler. I guess people sometimes bring in old coins to make jewelry out of. They has polishing compounds and rouges they used in the tumblers that made the silver bright and even smoother that they could by hand. Totally scratch free. But for my clad they said "Just use the gravel, and expect to get done in days less time.

Lesson Learned.

I still kind of miss that gentle waterfall sound from the barrel type tumbler though. As always,

I've heard of some guys putting them in a mayonnaise jar with aquarium gravel, water and a few drops of Joy and just keep shaking them while watching TV until your arms tire.

In researching the Idea of using a vibratory style tumbler I stumbled onto a little more knowledge.

First I was surprised to learn that this style of tumbler is often used in the striking of new coins at the mints.

One of the other neat things I read was a bit of a surprise to me, and in weeks of surfing I only saw it once. I think it was on a jewelry manufacturing site. It said " If you place a square rock in a rotary drum style tumbler you will get a round or at least rounded rock that is shiny. But if you place a square rock in a vibratory tumbler you will get a shiny square rock, and in 1/4 of the time".

Hence they really recommended the vibratory style tumbler for refurbishing old jewelry as it restored luster without removing much if any detail. I thought to myself that this really sounds desirable for us as coin people as well. Now, I know if I do not make the disclaimer to never clean old coins or other valuables at this time the verbal beatings will soon begin :)But if one does wish to restore one of those old beauties and all other methods fail, and you just must try tumbling, this might be worth knowing.

I am Vibra-tumbling some coins right now, I even threw in a valuable old antique coin as well, just to see what we get. I will keep you posted. If I don't like what I get I will be honest with you. If you have read my other post you will know I don't hide my mistakes. Hopefully some of those dumb things have brought humor as well as sharing to the group.

As always...