Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another one!! By JBIRD!!!

Royal

The west seems to be marked with numerous lonely graves. Many I have seen were marked by rocks being mounded over the gravesite to prevent animal damage. Near Deming, NM, is an RV park ( google it at Hidden Valley Ranch RV Park). It was built on a working cattle ranch of about 7000 acres by rock hounders and has gradually grown to what it is today and passed thru numerous owners. Straight north of the park about a quarter mile in open barren desert is one such grave. If it ever had any kind of cross or monument with a name, it was long gone years ago. I lived in that park for over 2 years. A friend, Les Wink, showed me that grave or I would never have found it as it is just flat scrubby desert but it was near one of our ATV trails. Les kind of looked after that grave and some of the Parks women have been known to carry flowers to it. Les and others in the park were some of the original rock hounders that started the park.

I went on another ATV ride with Les and some of the old timers to visit one of their friends grave. Their friend had always liked the view from a certain spot over in the southern foothills of the Cooks mountain range that begins just north of the park and had asked to be buried there. He and Les had loaded their ATV,s with shovel, cement, and water and went there one day and built a small concrete box and lid, level with the desert floor. They put a small brass plaque on it with his name. When he passed away he was cremated. All lhis friends gathered together in the Parks recreation hall for a small ceremony and then formed a caravan of ATV,s winding its way over to the burial site where they placed his ashes.

Les's wife passed away while I lived there in the Park. Les had her cremated. It was summer time when she passed away. Many of their friends amongst the old time rock hounders were snow birds, they only spent the winter months at Hidden Valley Ranch, so the actual burial was delayed a few months.

The Park is located on the northeast side of a long high ridge. We called it rattlesnake ridge although I think the map calls it something else. Les's wife had asked to be buried at a certain spot on the ridge over looking the park. Les built another small concrete vault at that site. When winter arrived and all their old friends were there, we had another little ceremony there in the recreation hall. No preacher, just a close friend that had known them both for years. Very few tears, mostly just stories and tales about Mary Jane, most of them humorous, told by old friends. Then Les placed her ashes on the front rack of his ATV and led a slow caravan of ATV,s down thru the park and winding up onto rattlesnake ridge.

Along the top of rattlesnake ridge are various small rock cairns that supposedly mark the last resting places of other people who wonted to be buried there but no names or markings identify them.

A few miles northeast of the park lies the melted adobe remains of old Fort Cummings. It was the only all adobe fort ever built in the west and what were once its walls are now just slightly raised mounds. It was manned by the buffalo soldiers and on a slight ridge above the fort site are some more lonley desert graves. Fort Cummings guarded Cooks springs, one of the few reliable sources of water on the southern route to California. Cooks Canyon runs west from the old fort site and historians record it as one of the bloodiest passes along the southern California trail. Over a period of about 30 years, it is estimated that 400 people lost their lives in those few short miles. Some more lonley unmarked graves are there in Cook's Canyon.

If you own an RV and travel west, Hidden Valley Ranch RV Park is an interesting place to stop over for a few days.

there are in the Southwest area of the United States. Some of them are nothing more than an sunken area at the base of a large tree, others are piles of stone...some even have crude headstones. They are a testimony to the rough and violent life of the folks during that period of history. It appears that you were living in an interesting area, an area with lots of history. Thanks for sharing with the Forum, very enjoyable to read about. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Can you imagine the history and the stories that they could tell!!!

clear water

M

what history they are flying past. There were millions of people that died in the West and many are hidden in back canyons and mesas.

Most of the are unmarked

i think i've heard of the r.v. park you speak of,can't remember what it involved,that's out there close to where pancho villa came across the border,i think the northern route west of albuquerque had a lot of people killed also,i kind of like new mexico,wish they weren't taxed so much.

IH 10 from Las Cruces thru Deming to Lordsburg is one of the most desolate looking stretches in America, expecially ziping along at freeway speeds, but it is interesting country if you take time to explore it. Rugged, rough old desert but its amazing how many of us outlanders learned to love it. One of its better points up untill a few years ago was its isolation and lack of appeal to most snowbirders and vacationers. Columbus NM is 30 miles straight south of Deming at the mexican border where Pancho Villa attacked.

H. Glenn Carson (monthly column, W&E Treasure magazine) picked Deming as a place to retire and lived there for about 20 years untill recently when he moved over to Donna Anna. Glen is a retired school teacher, historian and a great researcher of treasure sites and he knew that country like the back of his hand. Some of us met with Glen at Arby,s restaurant at 2:00 PM every day, trying to pick his mind about good treasure sites. That old barren high desert country held some secrets and Glen had the mental skills and the patience to grub them out.

Interesting story Jbird. There are many lone graves in the backwoods or bottoms, hilltops, end of cotton fields and near creeks or rivers in lots of places in the south. Like those in the west, most were probably marked at one time by a wooden cross, stake or a few rocks but little or no trace remain of them now. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the places you're talked about, maybe I'll get a wild hair after I retire next year and head out that way :).

....they discovered that Deming area was sitting over a huge water aquifier sometime in the late l800's. Water is not a problem and lots of irrigated farming south and west of Deming. The Mimbres river which runs thru Deming is one of those dry rivers most of the time, often described as being an upside down river with the gravel on the top and water on the bottom. Actually, that river disappears into the ground north of Deming and doesn't show up above ground untill about 50 miles farther south in Mexico. Only during the monsoon season will they have flash floods and the Mimbres then runs water thru the Deming area. The Butterfield trail crossed the Mimbres about 12 to 15 miles north of Deming and most of the time had water for the weary travelers on that southern route to California. Just think of all those thousands and thousands of people struggling along from one muddy waterhole to another across there not knowing about that huge water acqifier sitting under Deming just a few miles south.

I'll bet some of the stories they could tell would be real facinating! Good story JB!

Dave

throughly enjoy it, when we can get away! My type of travelin'! :lol:

From the experiences we have had thus far, we have found that the persons that RV all the time are almost as friendly as the people on the forum. But not quite!

Do you still go RVing a lot? Tell us where all you have been.

Celebrating a deceased persons life is the way it should be, and your friends sound very condsiderate and close. I, too, wish to be be creamated, but I do want a marker so in decades to come, if someone is trying to trace a family tree, then my information will be there. I want to be placed between my mother and father. I just think marking a spot will make it easier for the coming generations who want to find out where their roots are.

Let me know where you go RVing. We are really new into this. :)

I had to give up the good life of RVing about 2000 to help my son here at Kerrville with his problems.

I lived at Prescott AZ for 3 years and Deming, NM for 3 years. But those places were just "home base" for me while I roamed around. About 70% of the Western states are either National forrest lands or Bureau of Land Managemnet lands and you as a citizen are free to roam around on them providing you close all cattle gates behind you. I am single and was free to roam and indulge in my hobby of prospecting and metal detecting and just roaming around and meeting people.

If you are traveling in the West, you need to learn to stay out of the hi priced RV facilities as much as possible. Buy you some of the books out now about "Boondocking" which lists all kinds of places you can park and visit without it costing you an arm and a leg. Google up "boondocking" or "RV boondocking" on the web and that should get you started.

Go to Wal Mart and get their special Atlas of all the States which lists all the Wal Mart stores that allow you to park in their parking lots overnight and that can save you a bundle while just traveling cross country. Otherwise, it will cost almost as much to stay in RV parks as it does Motels. Lots of fraternity organations like Elks Clubs, etc, also have a few overnight spots for members. Buy the RV magazines and you will see that there are lots of "clubs" you can join that get you some discounts in lots of RV parks.

Most people love the southwestern states for their mild climates. Deming NM for instance advertises that they have 356 good weather days per year and that is just about the case. Lots of the desert country is what they call high desert. Deming for instance was about 4000 ft altitude with a dry climate and 100 degrees there didnt feel as bad as it does in lower and more humid climates. Google up "Quartzite, AZ" to give you an idea of what many people do with RV,s.

RVing is a good life for those who can break loose from the ties that binds long enough to enjoy it. Some people just cant stand to leave the grandkids behind, dont like living in cramped spaces, insist on traveling with 3 dogs and 2 cats. Its an attitude thing.

a place in Destin Florida last year and stayed for about ten days. I love it, just to get away from everything! Also, most of the military bases have spots you can park free on! Thanks for the info.:)