Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

another noob diggin' in the dirt

Hi All,
Just wanted to post a quick message to say I really enjoy this forum and some of the tips I have picked up here as a "view only" guest were invaluble, to say the least! I received a Lone Star for Christmas (from my wife....baaaad mistake on her part....I'm shocked she remembers what I look like) and now my daughter (:geek: has the fever, along with a Bounty Hunter Jr., and goes with me about every time we have a chance. So far we have picked up alot of clad, 1 1949 Roosie dime, a 1976 Centennial silver dollar and one childs (silver, I think) ring. Oh yea, and about a kabillion pull tabs (can't overlook the "gold range/nickel" beeps) and about half that many pieces of can slaw! I do have one (maybe simple...maybe silly) question. I hear people talking about when they are using earphones, they often listen for the almost inaudible low tones that could signify a deeper target or smaller, hard to detect gold items. I have used some earphones the last three or four times and all of the tones "hit" with the same loudness. They don't sound any different, any lower or anything. Am I missing something? Sorry for the book but thanks for your time and for all of the veterans, thanks for the newbie help you so willingly give out!

Carolina red clay under the fingernails is a great thing!
HH
RC in NC

i am not an expert at the headphone thing. i have yet to try them on my MD for I am somewhat a newbie as well. my daughter also has a bh jr and she loves it. Good luck with your new machines and remember to always have fun. its not just about what you can underground but also about what nature has to show you. HH.

hi redclay. welcome! well, that's a good question you have. it's good your're taking your daughter out. at some time in your hunting career, you will occasionally get those faint little beeps, the first thing you think is it's deep junk or just out of my machine's reach. don't make the common mistake of letting your machine fool you, because it will. you probably won't be able to hear those kinds of signals without headphones on. lord knows we have enough distractions already; barking dogs, dry leaves underfoot, squealing kids, etc. having the headphones on allows you to partly zone out the world around you and concentrate on the hunt. saves batteries big time too. my last deep faint beep was a 1773 spanish 2 reale on edge, about 7" down. i almost ignored it. distractions are costly; they take time and finds away from the hunt. hope i helped, is it hot down in carolina like it is here in central va.? hh,

Thanks Dobbie.....you are right....clean air and the nature are therapeutic after spending 8-10 hours in front of a computer at work.
Take care and good luck!

Thanks Gray. That does help....it could be the headphones I am using too. They were given to me by my Uncle (he just purchased a White's MXT) and they were part of the package with his detector. they would not fit his huge noggin' and they barely fit me. I have a feeling they might be a kids size or something. I can still hear some wind noise, traffic sometimes, etc. I may have to get a better fitting pair to catch those blips. And yes, it is very warm now compared to the first of the week. I have been out a few times til' the fingers got numb a few months ago and have been looking foward to this warmer weather. I can only imagine how the folks up north feel...having to wait for the ground to thaw to do some diggin'....that is a concept I can barely grasp! lol
thanks again for the response and as I figure out this forum a little more I will try to get some pictures up

RC in NC

Most of the finds I make are no deeper than 4 inches, but occasionally, I get away from the mineralized soil around my home, and am able to turn the SENS up a bit...I get targets up to about 8" on coins, and 13-14" on larger objects...I have heard a few faint whispers, but vary rare....most of these signals have been coins on edge about 6 inches or more deep...The Bounty Hunters are not like some of the White's or Minelab machines that have variable volume on the hits...the Bounty Hunters register with the same signal strength most of the time...

HH,

BH-LandStar

Thanks BH.....that does make sense. I get the same tones no matter the depth. I was at a local elementary school and found a dime just under the ground, 1/2" maybe, and found another dime in damp sandy soil that was 7"-8" down and they sounded the same. Thanks for the input!!
Take care and HH!

RC in NC

My interpretation to the question of faint signals would be more a question of ALL METAL mode vs. a DISC or NOTCH mode. From my experience with the SS2, a deep coin or coin on edge in a DISC or NOTCH mode may give you an audible tone on every other pass, every third pass, or possibly not from all directions. In other words, nothing consistent but usually at the normal volume. Whereas ALL METAL mode on the SS2 requires constant mashing of the ground track button after locking on to targets to keep the machine "freshly" ground balanced for maximum depth. And a "freshly" ground balanced machine in ALL METAL mode is really the only time i have ever noticed a whisper signal or fainter signal than the normal BEEP!!

just remember not to mash the ground track button while your over the target in A-M mode or youll
cancel your target out!