Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another newbie

surf fisherman

Hello everyone! Just joined tonight. Just getting into metal detecting and finding out there is a boatload of information out there and everyone has their own different opinions and views on all machines and usage. I haven't bought a detector yet but I'll be using one mainly here in Southern Ca beaches with occasional use in inland,parks,mountains,deserts etc. I've been leaning towards the Minelab machines with all the good reviews on them . I think I will be buying a used unit to start with. Looking real hard at the Sovereign GT. What do you think?

SF,

Hello and Welcome to this great site.

You will come to learn that there are a great number of people here who will be more than happy to give you all the info and help you'll ever need, when it comes to metal detecting and a number of other topics.

I can say your on the right track, thinking of buying a Minelab. Personaly, I think they are the best beach hunting detector there is, both in and out of the water. If you buy this detector, you will find you won't need a closet full of detectors to get the job done. Relic Hunting, Coin Shooting, Beach hunting, both dry and wet sand, and even in the water. In the water you have a great number of options also, detecting and getting wet feet, or even being in the water up to your neck.. :biggrin: Even scuba diving with your Minelad Excaliber ( if this is what you choose) is a great way to find all them treasures to be found.

If I was you, take the time to search for a used detector that is being sold on this site, or elswhere, make sure they are telling you it is in fine working condition w/manual, but you can always download a manual from Minelabs web site. You will be extra lucky if you can find one that has been modified for mounting the main controls to your hip, a great plus if you want to hunt land with the detector. It is a heavy detector, but if you can get it hip mounted, that would be a great option in my opinion.

Anyways, best of luck, it's trully a great time detecting, either alone or with a hunting buddy, which you'll come to learn is not hard to find one.

Sincerely,
TigerNed in CT. AKA Ned

Hello &
welcome1.gif

Terri

Couple of ?'s Will I be Ok with the coil it comes with? What headphones to get. A good brand sand scoop maybe stainless? Any good Web stores to look at or buy from.

Thanks for the welcome !!!

........Jeff

Welcome, and fair winds to ye.

I dont think you can go wrong with a Minelab, with only one caveat: They are foreign made, as in, from another country - in this case, Australia.
Any money you spend on a new Minelab will be money sent out of this country.

I have nothing against Aussies and some will say if it works good, then who cares where it comes from? But I ask you - is that how YOU feel?
Me, I reckon we send enough of our money overseas, without sending our hobby money there, too. There are American detectors from American companies that can serve your needs, and which keep profits here and Americans working.

If you don't care about all that, then I dont think you can wrong with a Minelab.

Did I say that already?

Welcome to the site, i also think minelab is the one. I have had the x-terra 70 for 5 months now only 1.3 kg and uses 4 aa s, I have just replaced the first set after about 20hrs. My mate has to charge his 1.3kilo battery every trip and carry a spare. All i am saying is to consider the weight of your choice and battrys , chargers ect. As for a sand scoop i went to the auto shop and bought some alu mesh used on grilles and bumpers, formed it to my dust pan for shape. Works great. Be very aware of sharps at all times, some sort of scoop is very important.
The 70 is my first detector and i have found it easy to learn mostly with help from this site, always helpfull.
I am aussie but my resarch told me the minelab was the best all-rounder for me.
All the best.

Welcome to the site! Very glad to have you on. The GT is a great beach machine and will do you well on land also. Just do not get the control box wet. Good luck to you, Beale.

SF,
I'm also a newbie from So. Cal. and will be getting a Sovereign GT and Sunray Pro Gold Headphones soon (early x-mas gift) to hunt primarily the beach dry and wet sand from Frank Trutta at Columbia Metal Detectors. Like you the reviews of the Sovereign sold me also this past Sunday I observed the San Diego Coinshooters monthly hunt and most used detector was the Sovereign. The Coinshooters were hunting the outgoing minus tide and the scoops that appeared to work best in wet sand were stainless steel, after reading reviews and forum posts on several scoops I plan to get a Diamond Head scoop.
Good Hunting
Jerry

... in these times, in particular.
I have been all over the world, to many lands, and am unswayed in my opinion that America is the greatest country on Earth. We must not merely say it, we must be willing to proudly stand up and act on it... to set the example of greatness.

If we are unwillling to stick by that, then we can only hope to be part of the herd.

I agree with you that others are good, and we can all learn from each other .
I do NOT agree with those who say we are no better than anyone else.

Like I said, it's just me. I am probably the last of the American Imperialists.

Welcome to beach hunting in So. CA. You will be required to pay me half of all your finds. It is a tax that newbies must pay me, for the rights to hunt in CA :)

The real beach aces down there all seem to be hunting with pulse machines. They'll pick up smaller jewlrey (tinsel fine chains, earing studs, etc...) that a standard coin machine might miss. And the pulse will slice through even the worst minerals (the gunpowder grey/black looking sand you'll see in gully washes, etc...), with ease, w/o loosing depth. But of course, you'll have little to no discrimination with a pulse. At least not as reliably as coin/relic machine would, and certainly with no TID. The Sov. will make a good land/beach crossover unit. True, you might miss tinsel fine chains, and true, it may get eratic in nasty black sand, but at least you'll have great iron disc, and can both land (where iron disc. is a MUST) and beach. The warbly sounds will take some getting used to. Other good beach/land cross-over machines are the Whites 6000 Di pro & Minelab Explorer.

Half of my first finds will probably be pull-tabs so you are more than welcome to them!

Aren't we taxed enough here in CA? Hey, but gas prices are going down- $1.96 on the way home today. Was looking at the Tesoro Sand Shark PI and Tigershark VLF models being waterproof and lifetime warranty but figuring I would get a good used Minelab unit with some extras for the price of a new Tesoro (American Made but probably has Japanese Parts in it!.... dahut's post) Any thoughts on the Tesoro's? Would really like to get a Excal but I don't want to jump into the big dollars right now just starting out. I would say 90-95% will be beach detecting as I go the the beach all the time mostly surf fishing and to cool off, adding a detector to my arsenal of fishing rods to the beach. Will check out the Diamond Head scoop.

Thanks!....... >)))"> Surf fisherman turning into Surf Detectorman!

A land we would , have, and are now willing to stand up for. Buy American if you can. I agree. If it doesn't fit the bill for needs I am just saying world trade isn't all bad. I admire your American attitude. I share it for the most part about buy American. I also will buy some overseas products.I honestly think it isn't a reflection on America if I do that. I meant no offense Sir in my reply. You have every right to believe as you do.Thats what this Great land is all about. Have a Great Week, God Bless America !!!

No problem, friend.

Everyone has an opinion, a point of view. I respect each of us and our right to express those opinions. They don't always jibe, and we probably would not want them to. I anticipate that; in friction there is traction, after all.

But like Winston Churchill indicates in my signature quote, I prefer a person exercise their option to take action. SO I speak up.
"Action" may be in expressing an opinion or buying a detector. I'll defend anyones right to do so - and have, in fact.
I only fear that we as a nation have become gutless and unwilling to proclaim our greatness.... again, I speak up on this topic.
We as a people seem to rather avoid action if it means confrontation.
But I won't soapbox and hijack this thread further. You all have been patient enough already. Thanks.

For what it's worth, I'll get a chance to test out my pals Xterra-50 today and see what I think.

you are!..we are NOT BETTER than anyone else!..we are all equal!

(h.h!)
j.t.