Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Great Day in the North Country

Royal

We are up here in ROscommon for the weekend. Mary didn't get the idea to come up until her drive home from work on Thursday. She called and asked how it sounded and I said I would soon have things packed.

We went Kayaking yesterday and it was a perfect day. Well almost. It was very hot and could have been rough in the river valley but there was quite a breeze, which made it great!

The only problem was with the dang horse flys. I never saw so many! THey were a constant irritation but with a liberal application of OFF, they didn't bite much. The wind made it feel cooler but I am fried. It irritates Mary that I can get so burned and be fine the next day. I figure it is my Indian blood. If so, GOod!!

As usual the Mamma deer has been here but I have not seen the fawn.. I have not seen the yearlings either but figure they are comin in at night as he corn is all gone in the morning.

As I said previously there is a bird nesting in one of my houses that I never got a good look at but this time I have. It is a FLycatcher, as I thought and its chicks are hatching. I am having a hell of a time trying to get a picture of it but I got a few long distance shots. I can not post them until I get home tomorrow afternoon because my video card is going to crap on this old puter and I have to replace it, next weekend when we come up for 10 days. I think I got some decient pictures of it but can not really tell. The dang screen has double vision right now.

The Hummers and Orieals have been absent and I could not figure out why. Well I have seen them around but they have not been coming to the feeders. The nectar is a bit clowdy so I went and googled it and found that the nectar had gone bad. It ferments it seems and all those dang ants floating around in it can not help. I just brought them all in this morning and cleaned them and made up a new batch of feed. I just put it out so will see if they come back.

I found a new wasp nest right over the garage door, which Mary insists I tear down. She doesn't like them around when there are young kids here, which makes sense. I told her I would distroy it before we left but I wanted to try some Macro shots with it. It is a nasty arsed wasp nest and he doesn't seem to like my flash :D I also saw another little bee enter his nest that pissed the feller off a bit. I happened to get a shot of it, a poor shot but an interesting shot.

Mary is still sleeping but I can never sleep in, just ain't in me. I love these mornings. I have the sprinkler going am heading for the deck to have another cup of coffee.

Good to see you back Mike.

Is this some type of bird food similar to hummingbird food? Where did the horseflys come from, are they common up there? I don't think that I would mess with those red wasp, they are too mean tempered...just spray the nest just before dark and be rid of them. I have always enjoyed the stories about Roscommon, thanks for sharing. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

buy a hummingbird feeder and you are in business. There are hummingbirds in your area so geta feeder and enjoy them.

Horse flys come from horsefly eggs :D They bite like hell and drive you nuts.

I will spray the nest before we head for home. They are interesting though.

I am posting a picture of the wasp. I can not tell if it is any good at all because my monitor is screwed up.

kayak against the current to get a little extra exercise.sounds like making hummingbird necter is pretty inexpensive,i think most people buy the stuff or at least i think they do.

are you sure the puter is the prob? not yer eyes? :poke: We found that the Hummingbirds came to our feeder much better when we mixed the sugar and water 50/50, it does not spoil as fast either.
Sometimes the little rascals get so numerous that there is a constant squabble going on around the feeder and it is almost scary to sit near it with them zooming within inches of your head! They are my favorite little critter tho.
Wayne

Must be my sick, twisted nature. :rofl::rofl:

Feels good to be back. Oh I miss the ocean but the fast paced lunacy in town I can live without. I am happy that you are getting back to nature bud....except the wasp nest. If you want to take care of it, get a can of brakeclean from any auto parts shop...It kills them deader, and faster, than anything I have found.And you put the little nozzle extension on and you can hit it from 40 feet away.

Get some pics for us. I am currently learning a new digital camera. My son gave me his old Nikon 5700 [same as Freds I think] It has a lot more features than my old epson. We just had the mother of all lightning and thunderstorms here last night. Wish that I had thought to take some pictures. :)

Have a great time.

All the best

M

You just made my day in letting us know that you have just been given the Nikon 5700 digital camera!!!! A few days ago, I ordered a book "A Short Course in Nikon Coolpix 5700 Photography" by Dennis P. Curtin. It cost $29.95 plus $3.00 shipping. I received it in today's mail and have already learned that the flash can be adjusted up or down two settings...this should fix my problem with washing out the photo when using flash taking a macro photo. Mike, you need to locate one of these books, it is probably well worth the money.

As you are probably aware, this camera is almost too complicated for my simple mind to use. It has really eaten my lunch, way above my head. Now with your knowledge of digital photography and this book, maybe I can finally make some progress in learning how to use it properly. Up until this time, I have only used it in the auto mode. I really want to take some good macro photos of some decent bugs, photos like Royal has been posting. The Nikon 5700 has the same number of mega pics of 5.0 as the camera that Royal is using, so it should do just as good once I learn how to use it.

Gosh, this has really made my day! I will look later today for some bugs and will put them in a mason jar to freeze in the ice box for a few hours. If they are still to hyper and won't hold still for a picture, I may tap them with a fly swatter to settle them down. Last time I looked, there were no decent bugs in the yard, but I will look again. This is going to be fun. I don't want to take another flower macro photo because the flowers are half dead and don't look very nice. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)