Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another detecting find.....and my only claim to fame

Dan-MO

Royal and Rob have sure got me itching to do some digging....I have several binders full of finds I have made over the years and tonight I have them out looking thru them for the first time in a while.

I dug this 1918 Gypsy tour watch fob in May 2000.I wasn't sure what it was so I sent a photo copy of it to Mark Parker at Western - Eastern treasures magazine. I was sure surprised to see it featured in his column shortly after that you can read the article if you click on the link below.

I have never sold anything I have dug over the years-I still have it all. My wife tells me that if she outlives me there will be a huge auction someday :yikes::lol:

http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/data/askmarkparker/robots/200107.htm

That watch fob is a classic. :yo: What did Parker tell you about it ? It never mattered to me what a piece is worth. It's history is it's true value. Binders full you said ??.......geez.....you're lightyears ahead of me. Three years and counting for Jim and I. In a way that's not a bad thing because the hobby still has plenty of lustre. Sometimes wished I had started forty years ago though !

Got real serious about it about 12 years ago.....and have slowed down considerably the last couple years. I love the old stuff.....you won't find me digging clad in the school yard I would rather hunt all day for 1 old coin than dig 1000 new ones! I have in the neighborhood of 1000 silver coins I have been lucky enough to dig as well as 200 or so Indian Heads and several coffee cans full of wheaties with a small handfull of large cents nickels etc. I even have a 1885 fish scale (the only one I ever dug) found at a pioneer homestead in the middle of Mo.!.....How did that get there! I will hunt the schools and swimming areas for rings sometimes....but I like the old relics and coins. I love all phases of the hobby....the research, the antipisation of the hunt and perhaps most of all the many wonderful people I have met (like you) who share an interest.

(I revised my above post and added a link to the Mark Parker article)

I have no idea where I found it or what it is. I just happened ot hava a picture of some stuff and I cropped it out and blew it up. Not a very good pic though

n/t

I guess we all have a favourite finds and places....... And since we are showing some of our better ones, here is one of mine.

This is the top of an officers' swagger stick. It is silver and was owned by an officer in WWI. The officer who owned this would have purchased this himself; it was not issued by the C.E.F. [Canadian Expeditionary Force} The unit was sent overseas in 1917 and saw action in a great many places in the European theatre.

When I found it, it was pretty much flat, and it was on the surface at Burton. I actually kicked it out of my way [twice] before I realized that there was writing on it.

I am so glad that I took the time to investigate this find.

Calm seas

M

[attachment 41200 CEF96.jpg]

[attachment 41201 CEF97.jpg]

[attachment 41202 CEF98.jpg]

What a great find that is! Aint it amazeing what is out there waiting to be found and how our best finds seem to come when we least expect them. I nearly didn't dig the first silver dollar I ever found. I was hunting a place where an old house had been bulldozed down, I had spent nearly an hour digging deep old plumbing parts and when I hit the cartwheel signal it sounded and regestered exactly the same. I left it and went on detecting and decided to dig it several hours later just before I left. If it had not been close to where I was parked I wouldn't have dug it...

That is a beautiful find Mike!

n/t

n/t

how things like that get lost in the first place. What an awesome memento to have from the war to end all wars ! There can't be many of them things around......A+++:yo:

I read your post and went on the page you posted. I almost did a back flip when i saw those buttons posted.About Three wks ago rob and myself were hunting an aera 1812s. I didn't find much that day about to pack it in when i got a good hit.At first i thought it was another colonial button . It is the one in the photos posted . You made my day thank's dan. It Just Proves Dig all hits. Any one want too buy a button LOL. JIM.::detecting: