Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

another coil question please

findit

the smaller coils like the new 5.75 bring up some interesting questions like does the newer technology make them go deeper than their width for example i always thought 6" coil 6" deep 10" coil 10" deep, but it appears they are going deeper now than their width anybody else notice a difference. and what about the shapes is there a difference in the detection pattern of say a 9x8 vs a 8 round? other than the 9x8 covering a little more ground is there a difference or advantage of one over the other?

the smaller coils like the new 5.75 bring up some interesting questions ... Yes, coil discussions are frequently great topics. :)

like does the newer technology make them go deeper than their width for example i always thought 6" coil 6" deep 10" coil 10" deep, but it appears they are going deeper now than their width anybody else notice a difference. ... By "newer technology" I would say yes, any coil technology used during the past 25-30+ years tends to provide better depth and coverage than many detectors made before 1975.

No, the depth is not always of equally proportion to the coil's diameter. Target size will play a role, as well as coil type (concentric Vs wide-scan), and other factors. There is a point of 'diminishing returns' in that as the coil size gets smaller-than-standard, it will lose depth of detection on larger-size targets as well. As for going larger-than-stock, you will reach a point where the larger coil will lose responsiveness to smaller targets.

Since most of us are coin, or coin-type, hunters looking for small targets like coins, tokens, buttons, bullets, etc., we will get 'average' performance out of an 'average' size coil. By this I am referring to the 'average' or 'standard' coil on most models. Going with a smaller coil will let us work in and around brush, building rubble and trash much easier, and there will be less masking effects. The more intense EMF will tend to be more responsive on smaller targets, which is what we're looking for, but we do lose a little coverage on each sweep. A slightly larger search coil will provide us with a little better coverage and, possibly, a very slight increase in depth of detection on smaller-sized targets. However, when coil size gets too larger, we're only gaining coverage, not depth or responsiveness, on smaller targets. Too large and there will be a loss in small-target depth compared to a 'standard' or smaller coil.

and what about the shapes is there a difference in the detection pattern of say a 9x8 vs. a 8 round? other than the 9x8 covering a little more ground is there a difference or advantage of one over the other? ...There is a very, very slight difference in the shape of the generated electro-magnetic field between a Tesoro 8x9 and 8" coil. Both are concentric designs, and the 8x9 doesn't really cover that much more ground per sweep.

There are some advantages, so far as I am concerned. First, let me just say I detest the goofy marketing approach of naming the 8x9 and 10x12 coils the 9x8 and 12x10, so pardon me if I state them in 'normal speak.' We'd never go to the lumber store and ask someone for a 4 by 2! Tesoro doesn't have to be that different from other manufactures to promote their products.

Okay, now that I vented, let me just say that I haven't ever liked the brown 8" open-center coil. I don't like the rod-mount point being too far to the rear (poor balance) and they are heavier than the thin-profile white 8" coil they replaced. I always tried to keep a good white 8" coil on hand, although I usually hunted with the 7" concentric coils. As for the spoked 8x9 coil, I do not like the open design when hunting in short, stiff brush, but I do like the improvement in lighter weight and nicer balance. Now, while I said there's not much difference in coverage, there is still a visually perceived difference and I like to see where my coil is when hunting in and around an under brush and, for me, you can't beat a white-colored coil to visually track it compared to the black and brown coils many manufacture's offer today. In short, I personally prefer the 8x9 spoked white coil to the brown 8".

Let me just comment on some experiences with some White's models to give an example of coil performance. Tesoro sold models with an 8" and offered a 7" concentric. Not much difference and I favored the 7" because it got nearly the same depth as the 8" but was much more comfortable to hunt with. White's, on the other hand, sold their Classic III SL and IDX Pro with a 9

I posted somewhere a day or two ago about the smaller coil depth exceeding the coil diameter.
All of my machines except for one have smaller coils. I'll get the smaller coil for the one machine as soon as it's available locally.
Monte put out some good points. Myself, I like the spider spoked coils unless I'm swinging in tall fields or brush where the weeds and brush get caught up in the coil spokes. My last four or five small coils were the solid disk type, and there are times I'll hunt where I'm running the coil in under brush. That's where the non-spider-spoked coil come into play, and the depth that these smaller coils are getting is becoming a real plus.

Always enjoy reading your post Monte. You're a wealth of information...