Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another blurb from Ol' Frank!

Ol' Frank

PROBABLY MORE THAN YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT MY REASON FOR BUILDING AND FLYING AIRPLANES:

I started building model airplanes as a young boy -- sometimes they even flew well! My eyesight was bad, requiring glasses to correct nearsightedness, so I didn't play many rough sports -- it was difficult to see with the glasses off, and equally difficult to keep them on and undamaged! Instead I read plenty of books on every imaginable topic,and as a result my small but inquisitive mind left me bored silly when the same subjects were later introduced in the classroom, sometimes in lesser detail! Children today have a better choice of subjects than we were offered. This was before World War II, and when Pearl Harbor was bombed most of us finally realized that we'd been fed a line of XXXX in Social Science class. Surprise! -- the Japanese really weren't quaint little people who walked mincingly while clad in colorful Kimonos and endlessly strolling under ever-present cherry blossoms, but rather had become a powerful industrial nation, eager to acquire new material resources through military expansionism. Of course, that begged the question: What else had we been misinformed about? It's true that winners of wars write the history books, but our textbooks were apparently written by totally clueless losers! Sometimes all you can do is laugh at the absurdity of a situation. Yeah, folks -- a sense of humor helps us get through life, despite rampant and growing incompetence in our society. We can't depend upon our leaders, either in local municipalities or Washington, to keep us either well-informed or content, so we must do our own thing if we wish to find personal satisfaction, right? YOU are completely responsible for your own state of happiness or discontent, regardless of external influences.

So, as I previously said, "Do whatcha wanna do!", and enjoy it: If you like airplanes, you can make a good airplane cheaper than you can buy many new cars. A Quad City Challenger II, like the tubing and fabric two-seater I finished in 2005 , costs about 19 or 20 thousand dollars to complete, including a radio and transponder, so that's less than a Honda Accord! If you're operating from a local field without a tower, away from Class B, C or D (a.k.a. "damned busy"!) airspace, the transponder and altitude encoder could be omitted, at a savings of about $1800. For those of you who don't know, the transponder is a high-frequency transmitter that generates a numbered blip on the tower controller's radar screen, showing your location and present altitude.

Today, FAA Sport Pilot licenses are much cheaper to get than a regular Private Pilot's License, requiring only about 20 hours of flying time plus ground schooling. I got my Private license 40 years ago, but it didn't cost too much in those days. O.K., so what can you fly with the newly available Sport Pilot license? -- A two-seat airplane that weighs less than 1320 pounds and can't cruise at the speed of light! However, you can probably still find true joy at a sedate 138 MPH, and at high altitudes like Denver you usually can add about 10% to that for actual ground speed because of our thinner air!! Full details concerning the Sport Pilot regs are available at www.eaa.org, and that organization will help you locate Experimental Aircraft Association members, who are always glad to help new builders get started on their projects. I have the best of everything because my building buddy, Dr. John Gill, pays for the recent projects and I do the majority of laying out, cutting and assembling of components, then the resulting planes are usually co-owned! I'm also fortunate for having machine shop experience in my younger days, but anyone can learn to do a great job of building, almost regardless of your previous skill levels. For instance, I'd never built a fabric-covered plane in my life before, but the Challenger came out very good. Consider that for the first time ever, in the year 2006 new homebuilt aircraft registrations outnumbered factory-built light planes, and usually far outperform them on identical or even lesser horsepower. If you build it yourself, you can apply for a Repairman's Certificate and do your own maintenance and annual condition inspections. All you'll pay for is hangar rent or tie-down space, gas, and insurance, none of which are excessively expensive -- no worse than playing golf frequently!

If you ever wanted to fly, simply take an introductory flight at your nearest airport and check it out. It isn't rocket science (or else I certainly couldn't do it) and landing the Challenger at 45 MPH isn't like slamming an F-18 down onto a carrier deck at 160 MPH -- in fact, you could almost get out of the Challenger and run alongside -- with the nose high in the air and full flaperons, it will actually stay airborne at an indicated 27 MPH, although that's more like a true 32 MPH. Of course, if I want to burn six gallons of expensive fuel per hour it will go over 90 MPH, but is usually cruised at 65 MPH on three gallons per hour --a marvelous fun and sightseeing machine, with those huge doors. The stability is awesome and the lil' plane's safety record is wonderful, with over 3000 flying now, many on floats or skis. About 800 of those are in Canada. More darned fun, and I can hardly wait to get my cataract fixed so that I can continue flying. The Sport Pilot regulations allow pilots to use their driver's licenses as a medical certificate, so even if you've had a heart operation or other major repair work , but are now in good enough health to drive a car, you can still imitate the birds. In fact, Glo once said I wuz for the birds...? She obviously doesn't like the small airplane thang. The attached picture shows the two-seat Sparrow Hawk gyro copter, which is kept in the other small hangar with the Challenger. That's mostly Dr. Gill's baby, although I did the Subaru 140 HP engine, installed the fuel injection and the instrument panel, transponder and radio.

Anyway --DO IT! life comes at you fast and fades quickly.

Regards to all from Ol' Frank, staggering around like Mister McGoo in the melting Colorado snowdrifts.

n/t

Did you build that? What is the airspeed and fuel consumption , and while we are at it, the effective range of it?

That RALLY looks intriguing to make. I have a machine shop, [lathe, welders [mig and tig] milling machine, etc] so I think that I could make it.

And finally, the rules and restrictions for flying it. I have a pilots licence [although I have not flown for years--too expensive], but I have always wanted a small helicopter.

Thanks bud

Calm seas, fair winds

M

you are such a fine writer and your taking the time to educate us is appreciated!
Is the fabric still "doped" the old way? I know its a dumb question but i have not been around aircraft for too many years. I learned to fly in a Super Cub but never bothered to get a license even though it would have been nearly free. Back in 60's my brother in law was the youngest person to ever get an instructors certification in Canada.

I believe it was in 1969 that he had just replaced the engine in the Cub with a more powerful one and had made a trip down to Edmonton (where i was living) on business and i picked him up at the industrial Airport to drive him to his appointments.
He was bragging about how much better the Cub was now and how it would take off in only a couple hundred feet easy and to watch when he took off, so i parked close to the fence on the runway that afternoon. True to his word the little plane was in the air and kinda hanging off the prop in no time! Problem was that in those days there was usually nobody around and the airport was mostly uncontrolled weekdays but this time somebody saw his performance and he got reamed!:lol:

He had a charter service in Northern Alberta. I was always a hunter/fisherman and took advantage of his largesse to spot Moose and find new fishing places.
We would land the Cub on old oil exploration roads that were only driveable in winter to access steams that had likely never been fished. Rainbow trout and Arctic Grayling, Yummy!
His 180 on floats took us to fantastic Lake Trout fishing, cast right off the floats and catch em till your arms were sore! I sure miss that.....
Thanks!
Wayne

and Mikie were pilots! And to take a plane to find fishing spots?Well..........that would just be a dream come true! All you guys just keep coming up with some things that are so very interesting about what you have done or are doing in your life. I guess that's one of the things that makes this forum so interesting! :)

it was so long ago and i was barely able to handle the most simple of aircraft. I have forgotten lots also:(

And as much as it would make me feel better to differ with your philosophy about "just doing it", I simply can't. We all own our situations........and only we can make them better or worse.:thumbup: That truly is an incredibly interesting pastime you've chosen for yourself. Not many can say that they've done or are doing what you do. I tip my hat to you !:clapping:

Rob

No Wayne, They hardy ever use dope and linen fabric any more, and I'm happy to report that nearly all aircraft fabric is now Dacron, which is cemented loosely to the frame then tightened with a hot iron at about 300 degrees! Never iron a dacron shirt at that temperature or it will fit your pet canary! Yeah, it's really neat to watch that stuff shrink and not to overdo it -- it can actually warp a wing or control surface if overheated. See the attached picture of the left rear fuselage side before ironing.

That's great about the Cub -- One of my friends at Jeffco had an Aviat Husky, which is a modern Super Cub clone costing about #200,000 (!) and it really climbed like the proverbial homesick angel. Considering my Geezer experience with ol' taildraggers, he let me take HIM for a ride, and he took the picture from the back seat: The pic shows a view of the runway on takeoff, and we had clearance for an intersection takeoff halfway down the runway. I'd just taken off on parallel runway 29R (out of sight in behind the plane in this picture) and we were already high enough to get a nosebleed! Oboy -- fun! Angels, beware!

Other folks have inquired about John's gyro copter: It started life as an RAF2000 kit (made in Canada: see www.RAF2000.com) and was converted to a more stable"Sparrow Hawk" version, with the huge tail surfaces and a lowered thrust line to prevent a "bunt", or forward flip, which is always fatal in these machines! Performance-wise, it will slow down to about 15 MPH and cruise at over 80 MPH with one person aboard. Actually, the Challenger II isn't far off those figures! Yes, folks, the gyro won't hover like a helicopter because the rotor blades aren't powered by the engine, but turn by auto-rotation. The 23-gallon gas tank serves also as the seat! I don't have a gyro copter license, so John has to fly it, and it needs more hours before a passenger can be carried. With an uncertified (by the FAA) engine such as the EJ-22 Subaru, experimental aircraft require 40 hours logged in the air before a buddy can be taken for a ride. With certified engines such as Continentals and Lycomings, etc., only 25 hours are required.

By the way, many of those Canadian Challengers are flown on floats, skis and various versions of amphibious gear permitting use on both land and water. That would be wonderful, but there are only four lakes in Colorado that permit aircraft to make water landings, so it would be a generally useless conversion here. Hope this answered most of your questions.

Regards to all from Ol' Frank

n/t

Thank you Frank! The info on the Gyro will be sent to a friend who is still thinking of one and the "Sparrow Hawk" update is really a smart thing.:thumbup:

have had bad experiences with the instructors I have had. I just love it up there and can only imagine what it is like to be able to fly slowly over the Rockys, enjoying the view.

Mary and I took a glider ride, in seperate gliders, over the Durango area a few years ago and that was a thrill. I had a copter ride over the bad lands twice and over Mount Rushmore a few years ago. Many flights over the Ontario bush on fly in fishing trips were always a thrill too

I always envyed you pilots and the ones that build their own aircraft are a special breed.

I hope to meet you one day:thumbup:

Hi Wayne:

By the way, the Aviat Husky (check that out on Google) is unlike most Cub copies in that it's flown from the front seat: As I may have mentioned once, John owned a clipped-wing Cub that was eventually sold to a Hollywood studio and deliberately wrecked in the movie, "Bird on a Wire", starring Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn. I once fitted my skinny chasis into that Cub's front seat, which was very cramped and uncomfortable. With John seated in the rear, ground visibility was naturally horrible for him, requiring S-turns all down the taxiway just too glimpse what was ahead! That's the main reason I bought a 1947 Aeronca Chief, an 85 HP side-by-side model, in the 1970's: When landing, I was tall enough to see the runway center line even when making three-point landings, initially referred to as "controlled crashes" by my peers until I could really handle that plane! I learned to fly in Cessna 150 and Piper Cherokee tri-geared planes, but the Aeronca Chief taildragger was a quite different sort of bird... sorta squirelly at first, but manageable with practice. With a huge B-17 type of dorsal fin, any crosswind became a real challenge, and it was best to set it down on all three wheels for sufficient steering control. A big fat Maule tailwheel and tire helped a lot, but even so I popped a rudder spring while landing at the now-defunct Vest airport east of Stapleton field, and had to do quite a dance on the rudder pedals and brakes to keep it on the pavement. The worst thing that happened was a frayed inner cable on the right brake, which jammed and veered me off the runway at Centennial Airport many years ago. The left wingtip actually dragged the ground as the plane spun around, but there was only minor damage to the paint job and my then-oversized ego! Both have since been repaired.

One more thing about that dacron fabric: Dope is no longer needed, with many synthetic enamels and water-based finishes available. The Challenger has a water-based blue primer and four coats of black sealer from "Aircraft Finishes", and was finished with an industrial one-part epoxy mix,"Armorpoxy", designed for coating water tanks and farm machinery, etc.! It bonded well to the undercoats, but didn't cover the black quite as well as expected, requiring an addition coat. Nonetheeless, it's worked out well, with a nice, tough satin finish. Almost no chemicals affect that paint -- what the heck: I'm the only one using that particular strange combination, but that's why they call them "Experimental Aircraft!"

Regards from Ol' Frank

Hi Wayne:

By the way, the Aviat Husky (check that out on Google) is unlike most Cub copies in that it's flown from the front seat: As I may have mentioned once, John owned a clipped-wing Cub that was eventually sold to a Hollywood studio and deliberately wrecked in the movie, "Bird on a Wire", starring Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn. I once fitted my skinny chassis into that Cub's front seat, which was very cramped and uncomfortable. With John seated in the rear, ground visibility was naturally horrible for him, requiring S-turns all down the taxiway just to glimpse what was ahead! That's the main reason I bought a 1947 Aeronca Chief, an 85 HP side-by-side model, in the 1970's: When landing, I was tall enough to see the runway center line even when making three-point landings, initially referred to as "controlled crashes" by my peers until I could really handle that plane! I learned to fly in Cessna 150 and Piper Cherokee tri-geared planes, but the Aeronca Chief taildragger was a quite different sort of bird... sorta squirrelly at first, but manageable with practice. With a huge B-17 type of dorsal fin, any crosswind became a real challenge, and it was best to set it down on all three wheels for sufficient steering control. A big fat Maule tailwheel and tire helped a lot, but even so I popped a rudder spring while landing at the now-defunct Vest airport east of Stapleton field, and had to do quite a dance on the rudder pedals and brakes to keep it on the pavement. The worst thing that happened was a frayed inner cable on the right brake, which jammed and veered me off the runway at Centennial Airport many years ago. The left wingtip actually dragged the ground as the plane spun around, but there was only minor damage to the paint job and my then-oversized ego! Both have since been repaired.

One more thing about that dacron fabric: Dope is no longer needed, with many synthetic enamels and water-based finishes available. The Challenger has a water-based blue primer and four coats of black sealer from "Aircraft Finishes", and was finished with an industrial one-part epoxy mix,"Armorpoxy", designed for coating water tanks and farm machinery, etc.! It bonded well to the undercoats, but didn't cover the black quite as well as expected, requiring an addition coat. Nonetheless, it's worked out well, with a nice, tough satin finish. Almost no chemicals affect that paint -- what the heck: I'm the only one using that particular strange combination, but that's why they call them "Experimental Aircraft!"

Regards from Ol' Frank

I have often regretted not getting my pilots license but it was just one of those things I never got around to. Air Force pilots did let me play around with the controls of quite a few airplanes though and I got a kick out of that.

A really interesting bird was the Pilatus Porter that Air America used a lot during the Laotian war. It had a small jet engine driving a small 4 blade prop and was able to haul a big load for its size. Short take off and landing was amazing.

http://www.pc-6.com/porterstory.htm

I was looking one over at the field in Vientene, Laos once when its pilot offered to take me along with him on a short test hop. I jumped at that offer but you know how pilots like to play around with and scare us non-pilots. He asked me if I had ever been in an airplane where the propeller was reversed in flight. As an aircraft electrician by background, I knew that all airplanes I knew about had a landing gear actuated switch that insured that the airplane was firmly on the ground before it was possible to reverse the propeller. To my way of thinking, reversing a propeller in flight was a dangerous idea.

He told me to watch the airspeed, put the Porter into almost a straight down dive and slowly reversed the propeller untill the airplane was sort of standing on its nose with indicated airspeed down very close to zero. He was able to hang it there for awhile although it was starting to kind of wallow around since there wasnt much air flow over his flight controls and my stomach was starting to wallow around also. That was a weird feeling.

That's funny! -- We had a Pilatus like that at Jeffco Airport, and it was simply awesome to watch the pilot come in slowly on final approach then reverse the prop and land about 25 or 30 MPH! I'd sure hate to feed that fuel-munching engine, though! Pilatus has a major distribution center at Jeffco now. A few years ago one of their European test pilots decided to show what his new Pilatus could do -- it was a low-wing model of some sort -- so he buzzed our 9000-foot main runway and actually attempted a roll (!) but went in inverted and created a flaming mess right on the centerline, naturally frying himself in the process! Who knows why a supposedly intelligent person would attempt such an illegal aerobatic maneuver in an airport traffic pattern? A few years prior to that incident, an F-86, piloted by an ex-military guy with over 6000 hours experience, crashed during an air show at Jeffco: He was attempting to pull out of a Cuban Eight but was too low and went right into Ball Aerospace's parking lot south of the field at about 350 knots! Although his plane missed the main building complex, it's a good thing it was Sunday or he'd have probbaly killed a few people. He'd obtained the old F-86 Sabre from the South American Air Force a few years previously, and it was a beautiful airplane. I've taken aerobatic training but prefer not to fly upside-down whenever possible!

Have fun! -- Regards from Ol' Frank in snowy Wheat Ridge, Colorado