Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ANN MARGARET.....Author Unknown.......

Ron J

Cruising some Coast Guard web sites, is a hobby of mine,as you can tell. Reading the stories, most give the impression the authors are my age or most appear to more like Royals age! :D Well anyway, age doesn't matter much as we get up there.... I never served in the Military,came close, but at the time, middle of Nam, considered myself lucky, but thats a debatable subject, I'm sure. Knew some friends who did go, some returned, a few did not. A few had a real chip on there shoulders,like they got shafted. Some never mentioned it.Some made the best of it, again others did not. I do know one thing, you are Brothers,shared mostly the same experiences,for better,for worse. Not having served our Country, i am not one of the "Gang" I can only thank, any of you who are Serving the U.S.A ! I found it very moving,being lucky enough to see the "moving Vietnam Wall" a few years ago...Really makes one think, reading the names... Here is a story of Ann Margaret, who visited Nam in the sixties, the year i graduated from Beverly Trade School. It was listed on a Coasties web page, and states, if you want to pass it on,feel free! So here goes..... ANN MARGARET Author Unknown...........................................................[attachment 82525 ScannedImage.jpg].......................................................................................................Richard, (my husband) never really talked about his time in Vietnam, other than he had been shot by a sniper. However,he had a rather grainy, 8x10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margaret, with Bob Hope in the background, that was one of his treasures. A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo,so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing! When i got there after work,the line went all the way around the bookstore,circled around the parking lot,and disappeared behind a parking garage! Before her appearance, bookstore employee's announced that she would sign only her book, and NO Memorabilia would be permitted! Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the old photo and let her know how much the show had meant to lonely GI's so far from home. Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line it was Richard's turn! He presented the book for her signature and then took out the old photo. When he did, there were shouts from the employee's that she would not sign it! Richard said " I understand. I just wanted her to see it." Ann Margaret took one look at the photo,tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my Gentlemen from Viet Nam and i most certainly will sign his photo. I know these men did more for there Country and i always have time for my Gentlemen!" With that said,she pulled Richard across the table,and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a ta-do about the bravery of the young men she met over there, years ago, how much she admired them,and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he was the only one there!.....[attachment 82526 ScannedImage-2.jpg]...Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When i asked if he'd like to talk about it,my big strong husband broke down in tears. "That's the first time anybody thanked me for my time in the Army." he said.....That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years,was proud to have been a VET. I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband. I now make it a point to say "THANK YOU" to every person i come across who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap and i am grateful for all those who have served our Country. Author Unknown........

I always thought she was a class act. Good looking for sure. She sure made his day and I'm sure many others along the way. We need more Ann Margarets, and less Britney and Paris types.

Geo-CT

I sure had a crush on her!! Her, Doris Day, Gena, Sophia (I will never forget "The Boy on the Dolphin" Debbie Renolds, etc.

They had a little class back then, not like now days when they seem to feel it is attractive to act like sluts and pinps. The old days were not all bad

I admire the men and women that served in Nam and it is a shame how they were treated

n/t