Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ancient coin?

celtex

Please help identify this coin looking object. Found in older church yard. When I dug it I figured it was melted lead but wasn't heavy enough so I kept it in the finds side and not the junk side. I am just guessing as to obverse and reverse on the coin. Glad I did! Thanks!
Found:XLT Modified Relic, 6" coil, jun 2, 2010 about 3" deep.

I'm no expert but that definitely looks like a very old coin to me. From the design I would guess that it could be medieval. If not a coin then possibly a very old medallion, as it looks to have a hole purposely drilled in it. What country/area was it found ? Good luck I think you have something special.
Hh
Scott

Texas Panhandle of all places! In a 30s Church yard. Church is boraded up now. Also go a silver ring, gold ear ring and a 47 Rosie in same church yard.

Based on the hole in the object, it looks like someone wore it as a necklace. Does the inside of the whole look smooth or rough/sharp? This would let you know if it was made to be a necklace or was a coin/token. A smooth hole was probably made by a company. A rough/sharp hole was probably made by a person. Is there anywhere that looks like a date or where a date could be? Most coins contain a date somewhere. Tokens most times do not. Since this object was found by a church, then you might want to search for religious medallions, religious coins or tokens. This might give you a clue.

Due to possible corrosion it hard to say if it is smooth or coarsely holed. The outer diameter of hole is larger than the inner diameter but again it might have been wear or corrosion. Church is too young for this item if it is real. Some think it is a facsimile of treasure.

Even though it's always a good idea to be cautious, I wouldn't assume too much celtex. That looks like it could be authentic old Spanish silver. I know the Spanish were in the Texas panhandle area a lot earlier than the Anglos. Just because it was found in a church yard doesn't necessarily mean it's connected with the church. Then again it may be an authentic coin that was made into jewelry and lost by a churchgoer or other more recent inhabitant. I once found a real gold nugget in a sand play area at a city park. It obviously was not naturally from the area but the nugget had been made into jewelry and lost there just as that coin may have. My point is there's several viable possible options for that to be an authentic coin found in that spot. Just a thought. Good luck.
HH
Scott

Yea I know. I have found holed coins from other countries here. one a 1943 2 franc coin form France. Canadian "loony" and come "tokens" so the hole didn't bother me much. I figured like the '43 franc it was a GI returning home with a "treasure" from overseas. Always fun to put yourself in the shoes of the droppie! :lmfao:

looks like a spanish reale but the color looks like brass or copper? any dates or numbers on it?I don't see any but I'M an old man...if it was /is silver it would be black from age most of the time
or shine like a silver coin you dig up?also alot of reales have been holed by people (easy to string up and carrie as a necklace or bracelet)then in a bag that could be dropped or stolen?just my guess