Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

an upgrade?

morris-code

I used a Compadre with the 5.75 coil last year in my first year of detecting and was itching to add a detector to get a little deeper and perhaps cover a little more ground. My reading/research and BUDGET is pointing me towards the Silver Umax with the 8" coil.

I was hoping with the 8" coil I might gain a little depth. Additionally, with the Silver Umax I could add the 10"x12" later on.

I guess what I'm asking, is for those that have used both, what will I realistically gain by picking up the Silver?

*also I will be keeping the Compadre, as I am very pleased with it and I have 3 kids that showed some interest in what dad was digging up last year!

I would suggest either the Outlaw, Vaquero or Tejon because of the ability to ground balance when changing coils.

Your pre-set ground balance might let you get by in your ground with the Silver µMax and the 10X12 or it might not.

If your wanting to upgrade then I would say go up the model lines to a unit that has a manual ground balance and a pinpoint feature and not so much just for a larger coil. With my two different Tejon's coil sizes didn't show enough gain or loss in depth to even matter, but a larger coil does give more ground coverage.

Mark

better performance, and to gain the benefit of using any accessory search coils, your best move is to a model with Ground Balance control. Pass on the Silver µMAX. If buying used, loom for a Bandido II µMSAX, Outlaw, Vaquero or Téjon, and if you want to buy new, really consider the Outlaw. The Vaquero and Téjon are also okay, but I still prefer the Tesoro models that operate at the lower frequencies.

Monte

I just ordered a new vaquero but richards backwood detectors has a used vaquero for $289 in the classified section.I have purchased things from him in the past with great service.You might want to check it out.HH