Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

An Opinion Of The Quattro MP

This is just a short review of this powerful metal detector in the Minelab lineup. Even with the fact that I have only had this unit for a little over a week, I have found that it is perfect for the coinshooting that I do. I have been using the discrimination pattern for "Good US Coins" in Andy Sabisch's book Mastering The Minelab Quattro, and along with the 4 x 7" EXCellerator coil that I bought from KellyCo, I am finding wheat cents and other assorted items much deeper than I ever could with my Fisher 1266-X.

Since I am still new to this machine, I am getting used to the musical tones the Quattro gives over high & low conductivity targets. I have not yet ventured out in the All Metal mode, but I am still finding coins at great depth whether I use the stock coil or the small elliptical. I currently run the Quattro at Auto Sensitivity when using the stock coil & a setting of 16 when using the smaller one. So far the deepest coin I have found was a 1913 wheat cent at 9 1/2" on the factory preset coin mode. I am however still trying to get used to pinpointing with the DD coil, for me it's a big change from the standard concentric coils that most of us have used. My little wizard pinpointer has been a great help in this regard.

I am beginning to realize that the people who either sell off their Quattro's or badmouth it, just do not want to take the time to learn it's language. I honestly feel that this is the best metal detector that I have bought in my 22 years of TH'ing, and I don't regret it for a moment. And to think, I almost bought a DFX...

No, I have not yet found any silver coins with the Quattro, but I feel it's only a matter of time & researching our older sites here in Worcester until I do.

I hope this small review helps other prospective Quattro users.

OK, enough of my ramblings.... Time To Do Some Hunting!

My Best To All,

Barry

yep i agree on all. listen to what it tells ya not what its suppose to do . i'm new to it but really like it. its working out great. got another eagle button with it. miss john found her first siver with it.
its a hot machine worked rite.:minelab::thumbup:
bigjohn

I still think the Quattro is a good machine but I do think the Exp II is a little more versatile. The Jewerly mode is fine to search in just make sure you have the threshold lound enough so you can hear when nulling is taking place. THe Quattro is a little more susceptible to masking than most other detectors.

Mirage

Hey Barry It's only going to get better. I bought mine late fall last year. So far this year I've found 99 silver coins 37 indian head pennies, V-nickels, Buffalo nickels a couple large cents and countles other goodies with the Quattro. I say let all the doubters sell there machines and buy DFX's all that means is more good finds for us. :detecting::minelab:
HH Butch NY

[quote B.RATNY]I say let all the doubters sell there machines and buy DFX's all that means is more good finds for us. :detecting::minelab:
HH Butch NY[/quote]

Can I Get An Amen Brother!

Ah...I missed where you switched to the Explorer II. Great machine. So you're liking it so far?

You may already have seen these links. If not, there's a lot of good info there.

http://www.detectorgear.com/

http://usetheminelabexplorerlikeapro.blogspot.com/

I'm in Excal mode for the summer, busy digging up diamond rings at the beach, so I haven't been hanging at the Explorer forum lately. I'll be back in the fall. :)

I know this first hand I owned one for several seasons prior to getting the Quattro. Ok machine but in my opinion not even close to Minelab especially when it comes to depth.
HH Butch NY

and it's nice to see you're enjoying your machine! By the way, it is only a matter of time and location when you finally start to find silver coins, I have, and it took a few months before the first appeared! I bought the Quattro last year in April and haven't looked back. I use it extensively, and found many wonderful relics and coins onthe goldfields, but now that I've moved away from the great Aussie bush, I'm heading to the beach a bit more often. By the way, the coins and rings I've fopund on the beach well and truly paid the Quattro off, and bought some dive gear too!
All the best with it!
Angela:detecting:

Thanks Angela. I was lucky enough to find some older maps of my city while browsing online, and I'm hoping to use them to my advantage in ferreting out those elusive old silver coins. The parks that are directly near me have been hunted heavily, but I am of the mindset that no area can ever be truly hunted out, until I get there!

My best to you & Happy Hunting!

Barry

I have a new quattro and run it in all metal mode as advised but many others. This has the benefit of a lot faster recovery between signals, but your ears can get a bit of a bashing. You can prove this by listening to the recovery time for the threshold humm in all metal with no discrim! as opposed to anyother mode with discrimination.

Arma

Dear Central Mass Hunter. Yes, yes, yes and yes. I couldn't agree more and sounds like your doin' just fine. Oh, by the way, in regards to your "not finding a silver coin yet", don't worry, What I've been reading, and firmly believe is: "I don't care what it is, if it "ain't" under the coil, I don't care what detector you've got, "you ain't gonna find it". The Quatro can find silver "if" it"s within' "oh say" 10 to 18 inches deep, but it has to be under the coil. I say, no problem baby, just keep looking, you've got the machine to find it, just keep it up.!!!!!!:drinking::clapping::wiggle: