Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

An inexpensive digger

bendorfold

The Fiskars #7978 came with my Lone Star along with a hip pouch and a carry bag. Sells for about $15.00
This one has too much taper and you end up pushing soil instead of cutting through. When you put the plug back in, you still have a 1/4" gap after stepping on the plug.

Found this trowel at Lowe's for $.98
This one is just right for a 3" plug. Put the plug back in and step on it, no gap.

If it breaks, no big deal.

Both made in China and it looks like from the same factory.

I'll be heading back to Lowe's to get some backups.

I have a plastic one like that from wollie-world.

I use this fiskars I got at wollie-world for $7. The other one is a cutlery knife
with a thick stanless steel blade. I put a serrated edge on it with a grinder.

digger.jpg

This shovel was $4 at wolli- world. I re-shaped it a little with a grinder.
Digger was from lowe's.

dig1.jpg

I have used 3 of those plastic trowels and broke all 3 of them within 2 hunts with them...I do not put too much faith in them...I say you get what you pay for...
I use a LESCHE, and the little green handled metal narrow 6 inch trowel that came with the BH package...I have yet to bend or even scratch these...both are pretty tough..
Now the LESCHE did put me back $45 bucks, but if you can break a LESCHE under "normal" use, I will sit on it naked...
the LESCHE has it's drawbacks...It is not a very good root killer. It will clear out roots of about 1/4" diameter fine...Anything over this, it starts to annoy you.
For these situations, I also carry a small drywall saw.

HH,

BH-LandStar

[attachment 82742 trowel.JPG]
here is my best found digger I tried the composit thing , that didnt work , an expensive one from walmart < I bought this one at a local Co Op feed store for 2.95, the blade is about 2 inches wide and about 6 inches long , overal its 12 inches and the handle is comfortable , the blade is marked in 1 inch increments to 4 inches