Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

An April Fools day joke gone wrong............

JB(MS)

There's a couple of guys who work with me at True Temper, in a different department with a different supervisor, who used to play an April fools joke on their supervisor, Hosea Bogan, every year. The supervisor is a great guy, as nice as can be, but he's slow as Christmas and is constantly falling for jokes that wouldn't fool a 5 year old.

In late February of 2004 one of the guys, Jimmy Armstrong, asked me if I could do a fake news article that stated that Gilbert Global, who had recently purchased True Temper, was going to move the plant to China. He said make it say it was because of a lack of cooperation at all levels of local supervision.

That night I grabbed the Wall Street Journal's main web page, changed the date to April 1, removed the lead article and typed in what the guys wanted it to say, that the CEO of Gilbert Global, Stephen Gilbert, had released a news statement to the effect that operations at True Temper would be phased out and moved to Hang Chow, China before the end of the year. I did it with html and it looked 100% authentic, with the stock market report, weather and all the other features on Wall Street's page.

I printed it out and took it to Jimmy at work the next morning and he said it was exactly what they wanted. He and the other guy showed it showed it to the plant production manager, Ron Riech, who thought it was really funny. At the 8 o,clock break Riech came out to the smoke area where I was puffing on my pipe and talked about it. He said he loved it, that it would be a great joke and would really shake Bogan up. He came by my work station several times during the rest of the day, laughed about it and commented several times on how funny it would be when Bogan read it.

Since it was over a month until April 1, Theodis Tisdale, the other guy who was Armstrongs co-conspirator, locked it up in his locker until April fools day but got it out just before the shift change on the last day of March. He showed it to some of the others in the department and told them it was fake and that it was a joke he and Armstrong was playing on Bogan the next morning.

That's when the problem started, he forgot and left it lying on the table at his work station when his shift ended. The operator who took his place on second shift noticed it about 15 minutes into the shift and went ballistic. He carried it around the department showing it to the other workers, then went in the QC lab and made copies and put them on every bulletin board in the plant. By 30 minutes into the shift, production in the entire plant had stopped, people were lined up at the phones in the break rooms calling their wife or husband telling them to cancel the credit cards and over 40 employees became so physically ill they had to leave the plant.

The second shift supervisors were as shook up as the production workers and started calling members of upper management, including Ron Riech. Ron went to the plant, called all the workers into a meeting and tried to explain that it was just a joke, but the only people who believed him were a few who knew about the jokes Armstrong and Tisdale pulled on Bogan every year. The plant manager, who was also the plant manager at True Temper's plant in El Cajon, California, who lived in Memphis and operated out of the main office there, was called and he had local supervision send the second shift people home so the third shift wouldn't be affected. It didn't work. As soon as some of the second shift folks got home they started calling their friends who worked on third. Less than two thirds of third shift employees showed up, and not much work was done on that shift either.

When I got to work at 6 a.m. on April 1, it was a madhouse, supervisors were running around like crazy and Ron Riech, who had been there all night, looked like he was about to cry. By 9 a.m. every person at every level of management at the Amory plant and Memphis was there and during the next two days meetings were held with all employees on all shifts to explain the entire incident was a joke gone wrong. Even then a lot of the workers didn't believe it was a joke and continued to believe it was going to happen for several months.

On the third of April I was at my work station and Ron Riech came up to me almost crying and said, "Brown, I need some help man. They're about to fire my a$$ and I gotta know what email address was on that thing you made." I told him there wasn't one but he didn't believe me. Luckily I had uploaded it to Armstrong's webspace, so he could print it out again if they lost or damaged the one I printed, and gave Riech the address to it. He came back about an hour later and thanked me about 50 times for putting it up so he could show his bosses there wasn't an email address on it. I still don't know what that had to do with anything but according to Riech that was the only reason he didn't get fired.

Other than that, no one said anything to me about making it and never said anything to Armstrong or Tisdale except they shouldn't pull pranks on Bogan again. There's no question that "joke" cost the company many thousands of dollars and the only reason all three of us didn't get fired was because Ron Riech knew about it over a month ahead of time and let it go. Needless to say, Amstrong and Tisdale gave up the April fools jokes on Bogan and I've not doctored any more news articles.

always seem to go awry when there are too many cooks!

i pulled a joke on i guy i worked with at the quaker oats company,he was always fretting about our pay and at about raise time the first few years the warhouse was open he would go around to everyone in the warhouse and talk about it.after we had been open about a year they started in with the production standards.every warhouse i ever worked in had them,they would get some type of work engineer to measure the time it took to do a certain task and then set up a standard time to do the task.well they were always unrealistic on some work and on others you could meet the standard with ease,the trick was to doctor your numbers to take your excess time and apply it to the task you didn't meet the standard on,i did neither.

i told everybody the supervisors knew who was working and who wasn't and i wasn't going to worry about it,i didn't goof off much,and i could always talk to someone across the aisle in another bay and work at the same time.

they always surveyed other local companies that did like work every year to see what they were paying and then they would set our raise amount,companies like carnation,kraft,and the safeway warhouse before it closed.

well jimmy guynes the guy i was talking about,he spent about half the day talking on the phone to his wife,everytime i drove past the raildock office it seemed like he was in there,if he wasn't in there he was talking to someone else,it seemed he was never working.

some companies were paying bonus money to employees that exceeded a certain amount of work,usually based on these work standards,it was just an effort to get production up,i don't think this lasted long but it was happening.

i told jimmy that i had heard the quaker was fixing to start doing it also and that we would probably be able to make some pretty good money in bonus'.well jimmy couldn't find a management person to talk to,so for the rest of the day he busted butt trying to look like he was doing something,he talked to everyone else in the warhouse about and fueled the rumor fire even more,by the end of the day it got back to me at least twice.he finally found out from management it wasn't true and i had my little laugh,i felt just a little bad about it but not to bad;).

Man I just can never wait for your next post! You sure have a talent for telling a story and this one was no exception. I could see it happening and Mary asked what the heck I was a bellering about!!

You made my day. You sure are an asset to this site!!

Goodness, you folks sure had that place in an uproar...one that they will never forget. :rofl: I wonder if as the years pass if eventually folks there will again do some April Fool's jokes? I wish that I could have been there and seen everything unfold, probably might have egged it on just a tab. :rofl: Thanks for posting this story, it gave me a good laugh. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

glad you all survived with your jobs. Corporate obviously did not have a good "April Fool's" spirit! Goes to show you how fast bad news travels. I bet you think twice about April Fool's Day now, huh? :)

n/t

It was kinda scary for some folks there for a couple of days:). They couldn't have fired Armstrong, Tisdale and I and made it stick since we have negotiated rules but they would have tried if Riech hadn't known about it before hand.