Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Am I right?

dljones54

A few days ago, I had gone to a churchyard that dates back to 1886. Several times, my indicator on my SE's meter would jump into the right corner, as if I had found a penny or dime. Then, it would jump into the left corner and stay there. Most of the time, when the indicator jumped into the right corner and stayed there, I would dig up a penny or a dime. My question is: When it jumps into the left corner and stays there, does it mean that I found trash or an undesireable target?

What I meant to ask is: When the signal indicator first jumps into the upper right corner, then jumps into the upper left corner, does it mean the target is something I probably don't want to dig up? When the indicator jumped into the upper right corner and stayed, I found a coin. But, what if it first jumps into the upper right corner, then jumps into the upper left? Should I dig, or not?

you need to dig. and then dig some more. and then dig again. pretty soon the little nuances of the explorer will start to make sense. bottom line: good targets will bounce around sometimes. they do not always stick in the upper right corner and stay there. sometimes trash nearby will cause the ID to vary.

i've said it before and i'll say it again. pay attention to the tones! the tones generally don't lie. i've had my XS for 10 months and i have found 204 silver coins and over 1,100 wheats. many of them were deep and the ID was iffy. keep digging. it will all start to make sense soon.

I think what he's saying is dig it. The indicator will jump around because of other influences nearby. I would dig anything on that whole side. That's how you find lots of neat and sometimes valuable things. Don't be so rigid in thinking that it must be perfect. It is not always the case. Dig lots and see the results. That experience will guide you better than the screen ever can. Metal detecting is far from a perfect world, although I wish it was.:)

Thanks, guys, for all your comments and help! I'm still new at this SE thing! In the past, whenever I got a signal with my White's 6000 DiPro, I knew if it was good or not. The meter's needle would stick in one spot and stay there, without bouncing around. But, with my Compass Relic Magnum 7, which I bought in 1976, I didn't know what I had found, until I dug it up. Now, with my SE, it kind of makes me think the metal-detector industry is pedaling in reverse. Since my DiPro would correctly identify each and every target, then tell me how deep I had to dig to retrieve my find, I incorrectly assumed that, since I paid out so much money for my SE, it should do the same thing. But, I've found that it works much the same as my old Compass. My Mama told me I was going to have days like this! Just teasing! Now, I guess I'm going to have to dig each and every signal, whether I want to, or not. Most of the time, when the SE's indicator jumped into the upper left and stayed, I assumed it was a trash target, since it was in the black area of the screen. I thought that was where the discriminated-out targets would fall, since I was using the factory presets. It's been really frustrating, when I got a signal that I JUST KNEW was going to be a penny or a dime, because of where the indicator landed on the screen; then it turned out to be a pull-tab or a nail. And, I'm REALLY trying hard to learn all the tones, as suggested! I was guessing that, like my DiPro, my new SE would make a sharp sound, whenever I found a coin. And, when I find a junk target, I've noticed that, most of the time, it makes a kind of rough sound. However, today, I tried an air test on a nickel (I know, I know, air tests are for the birds) HA! But, when I scanned it with my SE, it gave a broken and chopped up signal. So, am I wrong in thinking that all of my coin tones will be solid and sharp? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you people can give me! I really want to get as good, with my new SE, as I used to be with my DiPro. I've heard that the SE is a great machine. Now, I guess I'm just going to have to do some major work on the operator! HA!

Try and go by sound (tone) rather than the display. The tones (sounds) update quicker than and are more accurate than the display. I only look at the display just before I dig only AFTER I find a target where the same tone repeats over and over in more than one direction.

Sounds like you are still using the factory preset program, and if so, I think you will get better response with deep on. It will "hold on" to the signals a little longer and process it a little better, but you can't swing as fast as the whites. The hardest thing for me was finding the right sweep speed that wasn't too slow , but still gives the machine enough time to process. Also when you here a high tone, make small sweeps over the target to get a repeatable signal, then hold the coil still ,off to the side of the target and let the machine process the info for a second, and you will get a better ID than trying to ID on the fly. HH... RIch EXII